eight - smoke and guns

"think that's ra9?" mr. anderson asked connor, who stood next to me, staring up at the screen.

"deviants say ra9 will set them free." connor's eyes were glued to the screen, "this android seems to have that objective." i knew as connor's eyes never left the big screen, i knew he was analyzing anything he could about the deviant on the screen.

mr. anderson looked at connor, "d'ya see something?"

"i identified its model and serial number..."

"anything else i should know?" mr. anderson raised his eyebrows.

connor pulled his eyes forcefully away from the scene on the screen, he hesitated to speak, "no." he looked back at the screen, pausing for a moment before mumbling, "nothing."

mr. anderson and i shared a glance with each other before he turned around and walked away, looking for any more clues. after he did that, i quickly did my own analysis scan, going over simple things like the eyes, the work uniform and the appearance.

rk-series prototype - rk200
registered as 'markus'
gift from elijah kamski to carl manfre.

so that's who he was. markus.

when connor walked off to investigate the room some more, i stumbled after him, looking over the evidence he viewed. i watched over his shoulder, "w... wha... what'd you find?" i asked, my words slowly jumbling together.

"it's the cap from the stolen work uniform. they must've been disguised. that's how they got through the building so easily."

"i see." i nodded, shoving my hands into my pockets, "do... do..." i sighed, trying to clear my thoughts before i said anything, "do you think that... they all disguised as workers?"

"no, i don't think so." connor shook his head, "but if they weren't how'd the other two get in?"

i shrugged. connor walked behind the control panel for shooting news, and quickly pieced together the act. someone controlled the panel while the android - markus - broadcasted his speech.

walking back to the other panel, connor and i looked over the cctv cameras. looking over the footage, we saw three male androids and one female. the female handed one of the males a gun, and waited for the door to open for them. we concluded the deviants didn't break in.

connor turned abruptly, "they didn't break in?"

"no... no sign of forced entry." the officer stated, looking behind him at the door.

"there are cameras in the hallway." connor pointed, "the staff would have seen what was happening... why did they let them in?"

mr. anderson shrugged, "maybe they didn't check the cameras..."

connor turned around, looking over the footage again. he looked at a chair sitting at the panel, turning it around, the back of the chair reading "android."

the officer cleared his throat, "we stored the station androids in the kitchen. there's no evidence that they were involved but we didn't know what else to do with them."

following connor into the kitchen, i took a seat at the table, looking over the three androids, standing neatly.

connor looked to one android, and stared him down, "state your model."

"model jb300, serial number 336 445 581." the android on the far left stated plainly.

"what is your function?"

"i am a broadcast operator."

"has anybody accessed your memory recently?"

"not to my knowledge." the android looked connor in the eyes, before staring straight ahead to me.

i shifted uncomfortably as connor continued to question the android, "were you present when the deviants broke in?"

"i do not remember." the android mumbled.

"run a diagnostic." connor ordered.

the androids eyes rolled into his head, running through a quick diagnostic, "all systems fully operational."

"have you been in contact with any other androids recently?"

"only station androids in the normal course of my function."

connor turned his head away, looking at the three of the androids, "one of you saw the attack on the surveillance cameras and said nothing. which means there is a deviant in this room... and i'm going to find out which it is." connor stopped in front of the androids. he looked to the android on the far right, walking closer to the face of the android, "you're going to be switched off." connor threatened, "we're gonna switch your memory and tear you apart piece by piece for analysis."

software instability: please contact nearby cyberlife store.

"you're going to be destroyed! do you hear me? destroyed!" the android only blinked, and connor stepped away, "why should you all be destroyed, if only one is deviant? turn yourself in, or two innocent androids will be shut down because of you." connor looked at the android to the far right, "if you give yourself up, maybe i can convince the humans not to destroy you." connor stood with his hands behind his back, his legs shoulder length apart.

"connor, may... maybe... you should... try something else." i stuttered, nervous as the androids continued to stare straight ahead, the only movement being their eyes blinking.

"good idea, ajax." he sent me a thumbs up, "the deviants have just been caught..." connor gave a fake smirk.

software instability: please contact nearby cyberlife store. shutdown in 126 hours, if not getting thorough diagnostic.

"they gave you up. there's no point in lying. we know everything." connor grabbed the android on the far left's collar, "you scumbag! i know it's you! you're just a fucking deviant." he shook the android, "go on, admit it!"

software instability: please contact nearby cyberlife store. shutdown in 126 hours, if not getting thorough diagnostic.

then, as if everything happened all at once, the android grabbed connor by the collar, and slammed him against the kitchen counter.

i screamed, "connor!" i fell off the stool, grabbing it and standing with fear filling my body and my eyes slowly letting the tears fall down my cheeks, staining them as they did so. "let him...go!" i shouted.

the deviant looked to me, and advanced towards me. he grabbed me by the neck, and raised me off the floor.

connor quickly looked towards the deviant, "let her go now!" connor ordered.

as the deviant added my pressure on my windpipe - the plastic one i had - i gasped.

before i lost all the artificial life in my eyes, i gave a kick into the deviants stomach as best i could and fell to the ground, the beanie i clung so tightly to falling off as i dropped to the ground.

i picked the stool up, and looked the deviant in the eyes, "stop what your doing!" i shouted.

software instability: please contact nearby cyberlife store. shutdown in 126 hours, if not getting thorough diagnosis.