three - crescit eundo

as i sat on the couch, sumo's head resting on my lap, the front door opened, and mr. anderson walked through the door.

i looked up from sumo, "good evening, mr. anderson. how was the investigation? it must've been going on for a while as it is 1:30."

he looked at me, surprised in his own way, "how did you - ?"

"i had watched the news and saw the investigation about the most recent deviant victim. you'd think cyberlife would know what is going on, considering it is their own software."

mr. anderson made shifting glances around the room, "right... well," he shut the front door and sat on the other end of sumo, "um, i thought it would be good for you to stay here a little longer. the rain... the rain isn't supposed to stop for a while."

i smiled, "thank you." looking between the floor and the coffee table, i looked at mr. anderson, "how did everything go?"

"couldn't get anything out of it until that fuckin' cyberlife android talked to him."

"i see." i nodded, "maybe androids are good for talking to deviants."

mr. anderson cleared his throat, "yea, maybe." he turned on the television, "so, where are you from?"

"oh... i'm... i'm from... chicago." i lied, "i moved here to detroit because... because my family kicked me out... they said that i had to learn how to live on my own. and detroit is the android capital, so..." i shrugged, "i just decided to come here. i moved into the west side of detroit, but i got evicted last week."

"so, you're homeless."

"pretty much." i laughed, "but, i'm hoping i can find a job and pay you compensation for letting me stay with you."

mr. anderson shook his head, "no, it's okay. i don't mind."

"are you sure?"

"yea, i'm sure. it's nice to have someone around, especially when all i have for company here is sumo." sumo lifted his head as mr. anderson said his name, and he rubbed sumo's head, "so, since you know my name, what's yours?"

"a... ajax," i paused, the data filling my vision, "like, the javascript programming."

"all the way from 2005?"

"yup, that's the one." i nodded, "so, you're the lieutenant of the detroit police department?"

"have been for a long time now." he nodded, "eventually i'm gonna lose my job to those... fucking androids."

"hm," i looked away, "have you found out anything about that deviant in west detroit?"

mr. anderson looked at me, furrowing his brows.

"it... it kinda hits home for me there, considering where the crime happened... i lived down the block from."

he shook his head, "no, we haven't found anything yet."

"i see."

"well, we best get to bed. it's late. i'm sure everything will clear up in the morning." mr. anderson said, standing up and turning off the television.