24. Pudge

Some days, Camila was lesser. On Friday, Lauren had strolled into the hospital with high spirits but hey quickly drained as she entered the room.

"Hey," she spoke quietly, setting her bag in the chair in the corner. The brunette's skin was pale and she looked so drained of energy. She didn't respond as Lauren chose to stand instead of sit.

"Not today, I'm not in the mood..." Camila mumbles before turning on her side.

She wasn't often like this but she did have her off days. Days where the sleeping medication seemed to work faster and more constantly. Days, where there were silence and emerald eyes, dripped lazily over tan skin. Most of the time she was cheery, bouncing off the walls, speaking loudly and telling the girl her dreams that took place the night before. Lauren listens with a smile and tells her own in return.

Sometimes they'd watch a movie, other times she'd read to Lauren from her current novel but mostly, they stayed in silence and counted coughs. She'd leave the brunette's room with a count of seventeen or even thirty-two. Camila helped her with math and Lauren helped her with keeping calm. Only occasionally were there nothing for her to do about it.

Walking into the hospital, it had become a habit for Lauren to look down the hall and check to see if the door to her room was open. It was a sign that everything was okay but today it was closed. She paused in the middle of the hall.

"Lauren," Andrea called calmingly while emerging from behind the counter, the girl's green eyes still locked in place on the closed door.

"W-why is the door closed?" She whimpers, starting to shuffle a little.

Andrea grabs both of her shoulders and begins to tug her gently towards the uncomfortable chairs she had grown used to.

"Lauren, sit down."

"No. No, why is her door closed?" she asks again, finally ripping her eyes away from down the hall. Something was wrong. Shit, something was wrong and she wasn't ready to handle it.

"She's okay, I promise," Andrea reassures, forcing the girl in a chair and she sighs before running a hand through her long hair. She wasn't ready. She wasn't ready. "Camila spoke with me this afternoon and she... requested to not allow you to visit her today."

Lauren's eyes shoot up. "Not see her? Why would she not want me to see her?"

Andrea looks around the hospital briefly before sitting next to the girl. "You know she's not doing well, right?" Lauren nods. "Patients have a tendency to block out people during their worst days. They want loved ones to remember them the way they prefer to remember themselves; happy and alive."

"She'll still want to see me though, right?" Lauren asks and Andrea smiles, guaranteeing that she won't block her out forever.

It took three days for the door to reopen. Lauren had practically run to the room, sneakers skidded to a stop with some slight squeaking. Camila wasn't moping by the window like she thought she would be, instead, she was sitting amongst her pillows, book in lap, a smile on her face upon seeing who was in her doorway.

"Hi," she sighs.

"Hey," she chuckles back before Lauren was right beside her. She twirled her nimble fingers around her messy black hair, her head in the brunette's lap as she read to the girl.

"I don't understand," Lauren mumbles.

"Hm?"

"Why doesn't Pudge just tell her that he likes her?" Lauren asks causing Camila to laugh.

"It's not that simple," Camila grins as the other girl flips over to where she's laying down on her stomach.

"Sure it is, watch. Camila, I like you," she throws her some jazz hands to prove her point.

"Yeah, but Alaska has a boyfriend. Also, Pudge just got a blowjob from a very hot Hungarian girl who he's supposed to be dating."

"First of all, she's Romanian. Secondly, I don't think that matters cause what if he actually likes him back," Lauren did have a point so they didn't argue anything further than that. Camila took up the reading after that and Lauren pulled out a sharpie out of her back pocket to doodle on the brunette's arm.

The feeling was soothing and soon enough the book was put down as Camila closed her eyes to focus on the swirls she drew into her skin. Truth be told, she almost would've fallen asleep if Lauren hadn't spoken.

"Done," was all she said but enough to make her sit up and examine her arm. It was cheesy, something Camila had surely seen in an 80's romance film yet she didn't care because the question was embedded on her skin and she loved it.

girlfriend?

It was one word scribbled in some of the shortest handwriting she had seen but she said yes because the way Lauren did it didn't matter. She was hers and they were each others.

-

read, comment, vote, and enjoy!

[ edited on july 17, 2019 ]