1. Books

Her file was an odd one that Sheriff Jauregui found particularly interesting. The girl's name was Camila Cabello; age sixteen, five-foot-two, dark brown hair, and chocolate eyes that held all the secrets of her past. She was silent, extremely shy and obviously uncomfortable sitting in one of the plastic chairs from across the desk. Every time an officer would pass by, she would nervously glance at them and shift in her place before returning her gaze to the floor.

"Camila," he speaks her name and she looks up at him through long lashes, her knuckles turning white from gripping the edge of her seat. "Do you like to read?" he asks, recalling the small note scribbled at the bottom of one of her papers. She gives the older man a small nod.

Her parents had died two Octobers ago, a car crash they said could've happened as the result of the engine being tampered with but upon further examination, realized it was merely because her father had one drink two many. They were the only family she ever had. Camila soon fell into depression, struggling to find a way to live without having to undergo the care of the government. She worked three jobs day in and day out, jumping around from place to place though more often than not paying for a hotel room. She kept all of her belongings in a single duffel bag that she carried with her everywhere; two of her favorite books, extra clothing, a spare pair of shoes and lots of loose change. She barely made ends meet.

The sheriff watched with care in his eyes as her fingers trailed over the spines of the antique books lining a single wall in the small thrift shop. He counted and recounted, seventeen of them that she'd never read. And he bought them all.

The final bell rang down the empty halls of Miami High and Lauren Jauregui appreciably shoves all of her things into her backpack. She throws a polite smile her teacher's way, telling her to have a good weekend before practically sprinting down the hall to her locker where her best friend, Normani Kordei, waited.

"Lucy Vives is going to ask you to the movies next Friday!" the dark haired girl informs Lauren which causes her to frantically look around. Lucy Vives was known by everybody, especially Lauren. She'd had a crush on her starting freshman year when she moved in from a city a few miles away. She was kind and never really got on anyone's bad side but she hardly ever noticed people like Normani and Lauren.

She shakily opened her locker as Normani continues to ramble on about how she's overheard "so and so" say something else to "what's her face" and how she texted "that one guy" and a bunch of other meaningless crap that couldn't help distract Lauren from the thought of Lucy asking her out. As soon as she closes the metal door to the locker, she yelped out in surprise because there she was, long tan legs and a white as snow smile.

"Hey, you're in my econ class. Lauren, right?" was all she said but Lauren's mouth moved up and down as she searched for a proper response. Lucy seemed to notice, continuing to speak as not to create silence. "Right... So, um, I was wondering if maybe you'd wanna see a movie with me sometime. Maybe, like, next Friday?"

Normani has to push her a little for the girl to snap out her thoughts. "Yeah! Yeah, y-you text me?" she manages. Lucy laughs with a nod before saying her goodbye and walking off. The girls push and shove each other excitedly before walking out of school towards the parking lot.

-

Camila peers into the white-walled room with slight curiosity, her eyes flickering from the shelves above the bed that were blank and screaming to be filled mile high with the books that now weighed down her bag. There was desk and a dresser as well, no decorations on the wall besides a picture frame with the store bought family photo still inside. Mr. Jauregui brushes past the girl with a polite smile as he sets her things down on the white comforter.

"Bathrooms down the hall, Lauren's bedroom is next door and if the front door opens and you hear constant rambling, it's probably just her. She may have her best friend, Normani, with her and if you need anything, call. Okay?" Mr. Jauregui explains quickly and she gives a single nod. She seemed so small and trapped in a shell that was bulletproof but the man was trying his best anyway. Just as he was about to pass by her again to go into work, her voice stops him.