Chapter 11

"Everything's a risk. Not doing anything is a risk. It's up to you."- everything, everything.

Alia

Zack turned on the radio and listened intently at the reporter speaking about the weather.

"...for the rest of this week. There is a storm coming our way and a series of heavy showers for the next few days. Light showers will follow..."

He parked the car on the side of a road and turned the ignition off.

"Why'd you stop?" I asked as he leaned his head against the steering wheel.

"Because there's too much rain. I cant see anything." I looked out the window realising he was right. The rain carried on falling no mention of it stopping.

"Oh. So we just gonna sit here?" I faced him, "and not do anything?"

He moved his head but still kept it on the wheel. "I mean we dont have to just sit here." He raised his eyebrows a grin forming on his already perfect face.

I groaned and hit his arm playfully, "not in the car idiot."

He chuckled lifting his head and resting it on the seat.

We'd just come from dropping Charlie off at the hut. He agreed to our deal but i felt that it was mainly out of fear than his own will. Thomas said he'd be taken care of but the shallow grin failed to persuade me as he pushed Charlie into a small damp room.

It was what happened to all new comers, they'd be held hostage for a while, tested for drugs, strength and knowledge before being told if they were able to make it into becoming an agent or not.
The worst part was the beating we received which they said was part of our enrolment. They clearly enjoyed it more than anything though.

Zack sighed impatiently drumming his fingertips on the dashboard looking around at the deserted road. The faint buzzing of the radio lingered through the speakers but neither of payed attention.

He took a breath before saying, "that Charlie boy. Theres something about him thats just a bit..." he stopped for a second taking a moment to think. "I can say most things about him with just a glance but theres one hing that i cant seem to get my mind around. Something hes hiding that has no evidence, no trace nothing to find clues on." He shook his head in frustration but quickly fixed his posture.

Something about what Zack was saying seemed so true. That Charlie was hiding a deep dark secret and even though i didn't have the talent of being able to find out the details of a persons life with a quick look, it was clear Charlie hid something but not only from us, but something he hoped he could hide from himself as well.

I shook away the thought as the rain lessened within seconds and the clouds began to part letting small rays of sunshine through.

*

Breathing heavily as a set the barbell down and taking a moment to catch my breath, the weights weren't even as heavy as id usually lift but it was the tiredness that lowered my motivation.

From across the gym Noah stood staring intently at his phone screen before placing is back into his pocket and jumping up to reach the pull bar and dragging his body up. His back muscles tensed as he held his position his entire body relying on the pressure of his arms before releasing then doing the same thing again.

Id been wanting to speak to him for a while especially after what Ali had told me but for some reason i could Noah being more and more distant from everyone. He'd try finding ways to avoid sitting with us and even when we rang hed either quickly cut off ending the conversation or not pick up at all.

Even at the gym he tried drowning out my voice by putting in his earphones and ignoring what i said.

A small feeling of neglect settled within me and i hated the idea of losing one brother as hed finalised the idea about joining the army but the other drifting somehow felt worse.

The door stretched open revealing Zack his face slightly pale and eyes out of focus. Not even taking a glance at me, he marched towards Noah standing behind him until he noticed and turned around. Taking an earphone out, he rose his eyebrow questioningly as Zack began to speak. "Ronnie's gone. He wanted me to tell you after he left specifically so that you dont try stopping him."

Noah gave a confused look rubbing his index finger awkwardly across his chin. "Gone? Gone where?" A slight chuckle escaped his throat and it was obvious Noah had no clue on what was going on and almost took the situation as a joke.

After a quick glance at me realisation occurred to him and finally taking the other earphone out of his ear, he took a step away from Zack, "i had a feeling he'd go but not this soon." He almost whispered but the words came out clear and each letter was understandable.

"You do realise he wont be back until..." Zack drifted off as he thought of his next few words carefully. The silence expanded and as we all stared awkwardly at the ground, it was clear that we'd either never see Ronnie again or the next time we did see him, Noah would probably be married expecting his second child and I'd be graduating and through the event id be staring at the empty seat which could've been filled with Ronnie smiling at me, staring proudly.

         **********************
A/N
Hey my loves! So you all must be confused with the name change and if you haven't realised I've changed Ali's name to Ronnie because i just like the name more ;) and because the character that remind me of my character Ronnie looks more like a Ronnie than Ali.
For the characters I have actors/models/and just random people from instagram that remind of the characters which i will share at the end of the story. Xx

Comment and vote xxx