Chapter 8

"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But, you either run from it, or learn from it."- The Lion King

Alia

I leaned against Noahs arm as he closely interrogated Charlie. The poor boy sat uncomfortably on the centre of the corner sofa, his hands clasped between his wide open legs.

Noah asked him about everything and half the questions seemed too personal but Charlie managed to avoid them with ease.
He said he was going to university to become a lawyer and he lived near his grandparents whilst he was studying.

His pet dog named Chelsea ran away because his father kept forgetting to feed her and his only sister was now settling into her own house with a nice job. We didn't get to discuss much about his parents but i quickly realised that Noah was purposely avoiding on asking those type of questions.

Charlie cleared his throat uneasily and took the glass of water from the table in-front of him, taking an awkward sip before glancing around the room and finally settling his gaze on the only picture of us  that was set on the shelf under the tv.
Following his eyes Noah's face brightened at him noticing the picture and got up to pick it. I fell backwards from where i sat and watched him stalk across the room taking the photo frame and handing it to Charlie as if he'd asked for it.

He closely looked at our faces in the photo which reminded me of the day it was taken.
It was warm that day and even though it was raining, the air was still packed with suffocating heat. We were at the university and the large rooms failed to give us an experience of the weather outside, but we were also glad we had a cool room with air conditioning on full blast.

It was Alis graduations. Finally completing his business degree after a good 2 years of balancing both missions and university, he finally did it and the smile on his face didnt fade once throughout the whole day.
As the lecturers, senior members and guest speakers took it in turns to drain all our energy with their supposedly 'inspiring' speeches we sat and waited for then to finally announces the names.
I could remember Ali sitting on the second to front row between a girl with strawberry blonde hair and a light skin boy that wore thin framed glasses. He turned around at one point and grinned sheepishly through the crowed of graduation caps at Zack, Noah and I as we gave him equally glamorous smiles.
When it was time to take the pictures, Ali sat on a stool at the photo booth and the photographer made Noah and me stand on either side of Ali while Zack stood at the back forcing us to laugh.

Snapping back into reality as both Charlie and Noah watched me. Someone had just asked me a question and I'd been completely oblivious of it. "Sorry what was that?" I asked looking between the two boys.

"Your brothers asking if you're going to the gym after this." Charlie repeated slowly as Noah took the picture frame from him and replaced it back into its original location.
"Yeah probably. I have nothing to all day so I'll go in a bit." I shrugged facing Noah.

He stood in-front of the TV facing us, his arms folded in front of him and legs shoulder width apart. "Okay cool we'll take him to get checked." Noah left the room, leaving Charlie looking slightly baffled.

As Charlies eyes followed from where Noah had left he turned back to me pointing his thumb in the direction Noah had just gone from, "checked on what?" His eyes brows were risen in concern and his dark brown eye were holding my green ones straight.

As a CIA officer, it was almost forbidden for us to say what we actually did and if anyone found out, if ever we even became suspects of being undercover secret agents we'd have to be shot dead.
The thought of it sent goosebumps up my spine and the worst part was i was now in a situation where I'd have to lie straight to Charlies face, as the guilt began strangling me i swallowed the regret that rose in my throat and almost chocked the next words that left my mouth, "drug test. Noahs a massive clean freak when it comes to things like cigarette smoking and disgusting addictions like drugs. Hes sworn to never touch such things." Making my face look as serious as possible i glanced awkwardly around the room and rested my eyes on the glass half full of water that sat upon the table before Charlie.

He gave a nod and then remained sat there staring at the ground u til the silence was broken by the sound of the door opening through the hallway and Ali coming in wearing a bright red polo shirt and dark blue jeans.

Coming over to me as i got up, he gave me a small hug which was almost a ritual by now since we were so use to greeting one another in this way, then he looked at Charlie who'd also gotten up and watched him come closer and bring forward his hand for Ali to shake.

Ali looked down at his hand and then back at his face pausing for a second then forcing  a smile. Stepping forwards he held out his arms for Charlie to fall into for one of those bro hugs and slapped his back a couple if times. Puling back he took his hand, "hows it going Charlie?" Before turning away and leaving through the kitchen, while Charlie scraped his fingers through his already messy hair, looking down at the ground in confusion.

                        *********************

A/N

This chapters slightly shorter, its just a filler. I do hope you enjoy and remember to vote and comment xx