21. a heroine (Tokie + Atsushi)

Start from the beginning

"I doubt people will just...accept Mikoto's thesis," while I agree that people tend to read the time poorly by using degrees, having an accurate precision of time reading presented by a newcomer like Mikoto Sanada is hard to be accepted

Seniors have their pride, after all. It will be a different matter if someone with a reputation presented it though. Me, for example.

A lab room with two study desks at each corner and a long experiment table in the middle, with two cupboard on the wall, plus other miscellaneous items scattered around the racks. This is the state of lab room 2900.

At least, it's clean.

"I think Sanada's thesis is not perfect," Atsushi tells me his own opinion, "If she can perfect it and presents it again, I am sure it will be more widely accepted. Well, she certainly already has a start, getting people thinking and talking about it and all. I have to admit, it's impressive that she comes up with that kind of time reading,"

Impressive... That's right. It's impressive. It is something simple, yet it certainly is also something none of us has thought of. Mikoto having a start as a newcomer... Yeah, isn't she great?

"Now then, I want to ask you," eyeing me while furrowing his eyebrows, Atsushi inquires, "Which option did you pick yesterday?"

A) invention
B) improvision
C) research
D) development

"I picked B," improvision. It's the closest choice to invention, an option that I do not have the courage to pick.

"Huh, even though you are Tokie Mikagami..." the expression he shows me is not a mocking one, but Atsushi certainly does not see me in a positive light

"It is not that different from Mikoto's choice, given the core of her presentation," I puff up my cheek to show my dissatisfaction to be looked down upon

I am not in the mood to act cheerful, but I also don't want to show myself to him. That is what I can do within the condition of my state.

"What about you?" squinting my eyes, I ask him

"C) research," Atsushi leans back in his chair and lets out a sigh, "I guess this combination means that I will do the research while you improve my report,"

"Won't the person choosing D) development suit you best?" confused by the combination, I raise a question

"I mean, ideally, you are right," Atsushi nods his head thoughtfully, "But, since we are newbies, having someone helping strengthen my research report is more important, I guess? After that, maybe we will have a change of partner so I can develop my research...?"

All these guessings will only leave us confused. To concentrate, Atsushi asks me if I am okay with being his assistant. While I wouldn't mind... "I need to invent several items within 10 years,"

Tokito will do most of the work, but I can't slack off either.

Blinkin, Atsushi suggests to me something I didn't think of, "Is it okay if it's co-invention?"

That...sounds good.

"I have ideas, but no means to make it comes true. That's why I choose to research them for now. Eventually, I want to create items basing on my ideas," Atsushi leans forward to put his arm on the table and gives me a grin, "Since you are the descendant of the great inventor, you will be able to do it more successful than me, won't you?"

"I am related to her, but I am not a direct descendant of Tokie Mikagami," correcting Atsushi's wrong assumption, I then give him a bright smile as I start to feel better, "Let's sign a contract to make sure there is no unfairness in our teamwork,"

"Deal," easily, Atsushi agrees to my suggestion. Offering his hand, in which I accept, Atsushi shakes hand with me and says, "Let's think up the specifications of the contract for today and start working on my research tomorrow,"

"Un!" I act cheerful again and nod repeatedly, "Deal! Deal!"

Atsushi smiles faintly then gets serious again as he asks me something considerably important, "Speaking of which, what's the deal with that doll?"

My treasure, the squirrel doll by Tokito, is being questioned. I have brought it along with me, after all, as a good luck charm.

"I don't mind you bringing decorations here, but putting a doll which is not fireproof is dangerous, isn't it? All sorts of experiments are being conducted here, you know," Atsushi reminds me the volatile nature of researchers

I know that. At home, there were occasions of things going booooom too.

Since he reminds me quite cordially, I decide to take heed and no longer bring my squirrel doll to the lab.

21.

The research institute also has a cafeteria within the building. For breakfast and dinner, we cook at the apartment. But, for lunch, we eat there.

By we, I mean the four of us who live close together.

At lunch, for some reason, Atsushi declines to sit with us. Seems like he is being considerate towards others who aren't used to him yet. Because of that, I allow him to sit by himself. Next time, I will invite him to sit with us beforehand in the lab room.

Shin's teammate, Mikoto, sits with us though.