Mr Kingston's Roommate|25

Start from the beginning

"Oh thank god, I thought you were being serious for a moment." I sighed in relief to which he responded with an eye roll, a ghost of a smile on his lips. He wiped up the spilled tea off the table and took my hand in his, gently wiping off the tea that burnt my skin.

"Do you wanna do something today?"

"No, I wanna stay in and relax," I replied, my eyes flickering away from his absentmindedly. He didn't reply but instead continued stroking the cloth against my hand and after a moment of complete silence, I turned my head back towards him, frowning as his eyes assessed me intently. 

"Do I have something on my face?"

"As a matter of fact you do, it's right here." He said, motioning to my chin. I bent my head, my eyes flickering downwards, straining to see what was there until Blake's finger suddenly flicked my nose, sending my head flying back upright. 

"You're so stupid," he guffawed, his eyes twinkling in amusement as I glared at him.

"Prude."

"Brat."

I flipped him off, my eyes narrowed in slits as I began to slide off the chair. He caught my hand in his and tugged me back down onto the chair, his eyes softening as he gazed down at me, "you're hurting my poor feelings, Leila." 

"Blake stop you're annoying me!"

"And you're childish." 

"And you're illiterate," I exclaimed and he suddenly gasped dramatically as he dropped my hand from his grasp and jutted his head backwards in astonishment. He scoffed playfully and stood upright before pivoting on his heels, "for that reason only I'm not making breakfast nor am I preparing lunch. You're gonna learn how to do it yourself."

"But I can't cook for shit!" 

"Oh well, you're gonna learn today." 

~~~

"You know sometimes I feel like society is manipulating us, you know? Like these stereotypes and unwritten rules that we follow just because some years ago a man said 'you can't do this and you can't do that because if you do this will happen to you' Society has developed over centuries and yet still people still follow these outdated rules." 

"What?"

"I don't know–I'm just saying that I feel like we're being manipulated by the government with the certain laws that they install into our justice systems or again these unwritten rules, values and stereotypes that they riddle our minds with. For example, how can society be the ones dictating who we fall in love with?

What gender we fall in love with, age, ethnicity and so forth. It's frustrating you know? I just want to be able to do things without being looked down upon for my preference or for my feelings. It just-it pisses me off."

He turned towards me for a split second and smiled sadly, his head shaking as he turned it back towards the road, "Leila, despite society having all these certain principles, at the end of the day who gives a fuck? If anyone did no one would have the courage to fight for equality amongst races or fight for the LGBTQ community. 

At the end of the day, as you said, society is developing and so are we. The more we grow, the fewer shits we should give because we don't like in the '90s where most things were seen as barbaric. And why is that? Because we have the ability to change it and we did.