Chapter 11

That night we came home around four in the morning. I was quite thankful that Keisha and Walter were asleep, along with the other boys. I wasn't bound for questions on what we did, especially when it was five minutes passed 4 A.M. They'd probably freak at the fact that both of us were dripping wet, and perhaps think of outragious alternatives to why we were late and damp.

When I got myself into bed, I ended up not sleeping for what felt like the rest of the morning. Instead, I was thinking... about Prodigy.

I sounded like I was head over heels for him, and that's what bothered me. It's ironic that he asked me to be his fake girlfriend and now I wished he was certain. He's the man who stood by me my whole childhood. No matter what, Prodigy would always be in my memories, and that's something I'd always cherish with me. The problem: he's my best friend. I re-evaluated my situation in my head as if it were my final exam, but it just didn't add up. No matter how hard I tried to avoid my feelings for him, it didn't go away. It was like a thousand moths flying on a single flame. It was frustrating as hell; I was ready to rip my own hair out. Not to mention the fact that he was on the other side of the bed; it didn't help me get over him at all.

 But the fact that he said he loved me... changed me. 

The next morning, I woke up to the birds chirping noisily, most likely baby Maina birds prepared for a fresh-picked breakfast. Immediately bawling my fists in anger, I groaned intensely. I hated waking up early -- especially due to mother nature -- and honestly didn't know why everybody liked it. 

My eyes seemingly looked to the right side of the bed, having that gut guilt of choosing whether or not to see him sleeping. I was scared -- scared that I was falling in love at a young age of sixteen. Well, if actually worrying whether to look at your crush even counted as being in love, or being a huge coward.

For some odd reason, I was relieved he wasn't there. Most likely because I had tousled curls, sickening breath, and just that natural insecurity you get in the daytime. I exhaled a deep sigh; I was overthinking this "love" aspect.

"Nicole!" I heard my name being called not too far away. The eerie sounds of footsteps creeking were getting closer to my room. I cursed in my head; if Prodigy saw me like this, I'm doomed.

Frantically, I grabbed my blanket and covered myself completely. I refused to let a single body part of mine escape out of the cover. The only openings I had were tiny gaps for my face.

I saw my bedroom door swing open. "Nicole! It's time fo-" Ray baffled himself, staring at me as if I were an alien. "What the fuck are you doing?"

A nervous -- and embarassed -- laugh slipped out of my mouth. I stripped the blanket off of me, feeling my cheeks burn in shame.

"I was.." I bit my bottom lip in embarassment. I always did that when I was put out in spotlight unprepared. "Cold..?"

Ray gave me a look; it was meerly eighty-five degrees outside and the sun was shining to it's own extent. 

".....Well breakfast is ready." I felt myself ease off now that Ray changed the subject. 

"Yeah, I'll be there in a minute." He nodded and closed the door. I got myself out of bed, heading towards the bathroom. I sighed, I was such a bad liar. I created a mental note to exert my effort into that, considering the fact that "lying" executed my entire future schedule.

Prodigy's POV

"Nigga, did you want one egg or two?" I asked impatiently. The frying pan was overheating, and the oil I dumped five minutes ago started to splash in boundless directions.

"Two!" Roc yelled from his bedroom. "And make them over-easy!!"

Prince was in the kitchen, reading some magazine that was delivered to our door. It pissed me off that he didn't even bother to help me make breakfast, but then again I didn't want him poisoning my food.