Chapter 10

Setting down my last bite of the night, I wiped off a few bits of left over pasta on my lips. Although I started munching before him, Prodigy was done a couple minutes before me. I just couldn't resist another bite of the delictiable meal.

I looked towards the sky, only realizing that the sun has set down. The stars were dazzling – to the point of it’s limit. As corny and magestic as it sounded, it was as if the stars were twinkling just for us.

“Remember when Reina McDonald took your crayon and you got at her by biting her arm?” Prodigy asked, gazing upwards at the star-filled sky, with the biggest smile on his face. 

I chuckled, laying myself down next to Prod. “She deserved it! I mean, she didn't even ask! That was so rude of her.”

Out of response, Prodigy laughed. I reminisced back to when I was a little kid -- A little, very awkward kid. I had the bulging glasses, pale skin, big nose, giant forehead; and to top it off, I got braces for the whole middle school year. It wasn’t until high school, where I got my braces off and essentially leaned about contacts, that I started dating. Although most of the boys I dated weren’t really my type, they were your typical average, and I was desperate for a clean slate. The only man who stayed truthful by my side.. was Prodigy. Matter fact, he was the only true friend I had. I didn’t have a gal pal, nor was there a boyfriend who got to my standards. Through all the drama I had from cheer captains, and heartbreak from guys I actually considered in my liking, Prodigy was the only one there for me. When he became famous, he had his bipolar moments of when to contact me or not, but I learned now that it was understandable. I didn't blame him with the amount of stress Walter, Keisha, the media, and many more individuals put on him. His attitude actually got me close with the other guys, anyway, and that’s a huge plus.

But now that it is my junior year, “Nerdy Nicole” was finally dating Prodigy, lead in boy band Mindless Behavior. Well, at least that’s what everyone thought. In the back of my head, I honestly wondered what Reina McDonald thought of Prod and I dating. 

We stayed silent for a moment, just to enjoy the view we had in front of us. I didn’t mind, the stars tonight were really beautiful. Not to mention that it was a full moon tonight. 

Ironically, the date was a huge success. Sure, we had it for the wrong reasons, but the outcome was what had me gushing this very moment. We were laughing and talking like the best friends we were back in the days. In my mind, I contemplated once again. This was the real reason why I had feelings for Prodigy. Not because I couldn’t score with Roc, or because Princeton was (excuse my manners) being a total bitch, but because he knew the real me.

In a frantic, Prod immediately jerked upwards, causing me to jump out of fright. “Wait, what time is it, Nicole?!” He asked in a hurry, as if we had a curfew. 

I looked at my Guess watch. It was also pretty new to me that I own high-end jewelry.

 “Eleven... o’clock,” I replied slowly, wishing I had said a lie. As revealing as it sounded, I didn’t want this date to end. We didn’t have a curfew, but if Walter or Keisha saw us sneaking around in the early morning, they’d have our butts hanging on a winter cabin’s wooden fireplace.

 In a hurry, Prod got on his feet, not even caring to dust off dirt on his clothes. “Come on! There’s one more surprise I have for you!”

 I stood up, anxious. I wasn't ready to face the consequences, and I definitely did not want to have the “irresponsible teenagers” lecture. However, I didn’t want this date to end. Although I knew one of the outcomes was surely going to happen, I took the unexpected route.

 “What about the picnic basket?” I asked, pointing to the open-woven box.

 “Forget about it! We finished the food anyway.” I heard him laugh at his own comment. He grabbed me by my hands, leading me to where ever we were going. And as if we were meant to be, I felt sparks shock me into a fairytale. Except, this was all reality.

I heard the waves roar against untouched sand, knowing that there were men who flattened the sand after nine. With a full moon glistening down onto the waves of the night, I had come to the realization that it was as beautiful as it was in the sunlight. 

After taking off my wedges, he lead me towards the water. I felt the particles of sand seep between each of my toes, and as oddly as it sounded, that was something I was going to savor. 

For the moment, I thought we were going to gaze at the waves up close, until Prodigy stepped foot into the water. I jerked my hand away; there was no way I going in cold water!

“Come on!” Prodigy whined, lending one hand out for me to grab. 

I laughed, giving off the impression that he was insane. “No way! I’m in a summer dress! I don’t even have a bathing suit!”

“That’s why you take off ya clothes,” I heard him mumble. I didn’t know if he purposely said it loudly, or I had good hearing. Either way, I felt my cheeks burn.

Prodigy always had a perverted side, no doubt about it. But he had more class than to “make love” to a hot fan he met five minutes ago. Unless you knew him long enough and gained his trust, you could see how he really is. 

“No matter what, Prodigy,” I crossed my arms like a grumpy five-year-old. “I’m not going in the water!” 

 He sighed under his breath. “You’re going to hate me for this, but..”

“But wha-“ before I could even finish, I felt two strong arms on my waist, dunking my whole body into what felt really felt like fifty degrees water.

I brought myself back to the surface, reacting as any person would if they got dragged into water --  completely spitting out drenched water in your mouth. I heard Prodigy laugh at me, as he was swimming shirtless himself.

Due to the fact that I was practically freezing my butt off, I paid no attention into seeking revenge for Prodigy. Well, at least not yet. I could barely move my arms.

As if to rescue me, Prodigy lifted me up, having my entire being sit on his shoulders. He was still in the cold ocean, and honestly, I had no idea how he couldn’t shake by the temperature down there.

He brought both of us to the shoreline, where I immediately grabbed my pair of wedges by my hand. “I hate you,” I said as a tease, squeezing the salty water out of my hair with my other palm. 

Prodigy grabbed his shirt, wiping his face dry. For the moment, I actually caught a glimpse of his upper body. You couldn’t lie, even if you tried. For a seventeen-year-old, he was built.

When he finally put his damp shirt on, I looked away, hoping he didn’t catch me staring. I heard him smirk, in a cocky way. Crap, he probably did.

 “That hurts, Nic.” He teased back, turning my head to look straight into his eyes.

His brown orbs were completely mesmerizing. They easily got me into his trance. I felt his arms linger around my waist, which was wet from my soaked dress. I loved to taunt, to the point of extreme flirting. It just made me feel powerful; dominant. “And why do you care?” I monotoned.

 “Because..” he almost hesitated himself. “Because I love you.” 

I thought he meant it as a best friend way, considering as a fact that we weren’t actually dating. In response, I said the same, except I truly did mean it, from the bottom of my heart.