Chapter Twenty-Two: Darkness Reigns

Mark could not believe his eyes, his lips cracking a smile seeing his old friend alive and well, "I thought you were..."

"Dead?" Wilford finished, before wheezing out a laugh, "I'm sure one bullet isn't enough to put down old Warfy here." He gloated, being the self-centered man he always was, "...except if he went for the head."

The agent nodded.

"Alright, I'll leave you guys to yourselves so you can have your little reconciliation," Felix said, turning around and walking out of the room, "I'll see you back in the office, Mark."

"Right, thanks, K." Mark said as the boss closed the door behind him.

"So tell me, Mr. Markiplier," Wilford began, blowing on his pink mustache and flashing his friend a cheerful smirk, "What is our friend Damien up to now?"

At that instant, Mark's heart sank. He slowly and nervously sat on the couch, feeling throbbing pain from the bullet wound on his shoulder as he did so.

"I failed you, William." Mark hung his head low, "I let Damien take the ruby."

In Wilford's head was a jumble of emotions. He was furious, betrayed, and disappointed. But he kept his calm and laid back demeanor, inhaling deeply and releasing it slowly, the wound on his gut stinging when he did.

"What happened?" Will asked, clutching his belly, adjusting himself to sit on the bed and face Mark.

"Damien held a so-called loved one of mine hostage in exchange for the MacGuffin. I mean, I consider Jack as a loved one, but not that kind of loved one."

"So he took your Internet boyfriend?" He rubbed his beard.

"Whoa-whoa!" Mark interrupted, "for the record, he is not my boyfriend. Only fangirls think we are a thing. He's just... a close friend who's in the wrong place and at the wrong time. Now I feel bad for the poor Irish potato, he's strung up somewhere God knows where while Damien is about to complete his master plan."

"I see." He blew on his mustache.

"I'm sorry that I let you down."

He was within reach that Wilford placed a hand on his back, "Aw, come on, I know that you failed me and you only have yourself to blame."

Mark's head shot back up, eyes wide in surprise, "Gee thanks, Will, I thought you're gonna say that I shouldn't."

Laughter came from Wilford, grinning, "That's not how I roll, Fischbach, you know I tend to make people feel worse."

"Ah, the crazy William." Mark chuckled.

"And you, the ambitious Mark." He retorted.

"What brought us together, though? I can't remember." The agent leaned to his side on the edge of the mattress.

"We were, I think, ten or eleven years old when we shared the same Science class, and we had a lesson about outer space. And after that you wouldn't stop blabbering about a video game about space. I think it was called,"

"Homeworld." Mark said, a smile forming on his face, "It was one of the reasons why I've grown to love the vastness of space."

"So did Damien and I." Will said, "One day you invited us over and we played that game for sixteen hours straight, heck, I think it was longer. Video games and the fascination of space brought us together."

Memories came flooding back to him, he turned his head and faced the window, staring at the morning sky that still had the stars twinkling above.

"You know," The agent said, his voice low, "Whenever I look up at the skies, it would give me with some sort of comfort, and that moment when you realize how small you are compared to the limitless universe."