20 • Meeting Il-Sung

In that moment, I could hear my heart beat so deafeningly loud in my ears, beating like an unsteady drum that shook my entire body with every beat. I felt like someone had poured ice cold water onto me, but that might have been sweat.

In front of us was a long set out table, with about several vampires sat at it with papers in front of them. At the sight of me, they all seemed rather scared looking and tried to hide their papers under folders or anything they could find. I guess they didn't want me reading them, not that I would have tried.

I didn't exactly want to anger them and whatever they were talking about wasn't my concern. My concern was how much danger I seemed to be in.

Jisung had always been great at controlling his lust for blood. I wasn't even really sure he had a lust for blood. In movies vampires always seemed to have a hard time keeping themselves in control around humans. My instincts told me that they were all going to start leaping at me, although none looked like they would.

They all looked rather nerdy, to be honest. Now that I had a chance to take in their appearances, I noted that they were all dressed in fancy suits with neatly gelled hair and some even had nerdy glasses. They didn't looked very threatening.

I knew they were vampire because, despite looking nerdy, they also looked pretty perfect. Like Jisung, they had that smooth white skin that looked like porcelain and eyes that seemed to deep and luring.

My eyes drifted up to the man at the head of the table, who didn't look like the rest of the men. He had a suit like them, but his hair was longer and almost reached his shoulders. It was jet black, curly and he actually looked pretty nice.

It was clear he was older, much older than Jisung and I. It was pretty jarring, if I'm honest. There was something so old and young looking about him, all at the same time. Then I met his eyes.

They were wide and concerned, from me and Jisung bursting in I assume. But they looked identical to Jisung's eyes, deep blue oceans that I was scared to look into from fear of getting lost.

He sprung up out of his seat quicker than lightning, his seat scrapping hard against the floor and making that horrible noise. I wanted to cover my ears but I felt completely paralysed.

"Jisung!" He bellowed.

His voice was terryfing, more like a snarl than anything else. I looked to Jisung and was shocked to see the expression on his face. Usually he was joking or bored looking, but he actually looked pretty scared. Granted, I was too.

"Father, this is-"

"Natalie Beckett, I'm assuming. I'm curious, however, to the reason she's in my office. Especially when I have guests."

Jisung was looking down at his feet like a Child. "I didn't know you had guests in."

"If you had knocked, you would have."

"I'm sorry," He said. "I'll take her-"

"I'm so sorry, could you all excuse me for two minutes?" The man asked the group of people.

They all nodded. I assumed they were pretty happy to have me leave. The man walked towards us, Jisung grabbing my hand and leading me out of the room. I felt slightly better to be away from the massive group of vampires, like I was in far less danger now. But now I was also face to face with Jisung's Father, who was pretty scary looking.

"Hello, Miss Beckett. I'm so sorry for my Son, has he been kind at least?"

I looked to Jisung, who was looking right back at me. I had a brief moment where I thought I could drop him in it, talk of how rough his kidnapping had been or mention one of the times he had been rude or short he was with me.

But it didn't feel right. Sure, this situation was rotten and I probably should hate Jisung, but he had been pretty nice to me the last couple of days. The promise he made about not hurting me seemed so genuine and he actually did seem to care when I was crying.

"Very kind," I said, my voice coming out raspy and low. I cleared my throat, feeling it hard to gather up the confidence to speak properly.

"That's good. I worried about sending him to get you. I'm assuming you have noticed that he can have a short temper or just be pretty cold."

"Father-"

"Shush now, Jisung. I'm talking to Miss Beckett, not you." Jisung looked embarrassed. "I'm busy in a meeting right now, but after I'm finished I'll be more than happy to have a proper chat. How about we all have a sit down tonight, along with Sook-Ja?"

Sook-Ja must be...his Mother?

I realised that Jisung wasn't going to answer so I just politely nodded, which he seemed pleased with. He went to turn to head into his office again, but looked back at me a second.

"Oh, my name's Il-Sung. I hate being called Mr Han, it makes me feel old."

He then turned and headed back inside of the room.

"He was nice," I said.

"Shut up."

The tone of his voice shocked me. He had been so nice recently but he sounded so aggression right now, at the smallest of comments. We met eyes and he seemed to notice my shock. He opened his mouth and I thought he may apologise, but he didn't.

"Let's go, I'll show you around town."

💫

hey so btw my cat is doing better and wr have her home for a while 💖