Chapter 33

"Sh*t," he muttered shuffling in his seat.

His door opened and he hopped out. I heard the trunk open moments later and more rustling around. It was silent and I nearly screamed when I heard a tap on the window behind me. I turned around in my seat to see Ryder standing outside. I slowly opened the door and he held it open as I hopped down.

"Sorry," he said, "my battery died. Do you think you could jump start me?"

"Um, sure," I said questioning if this night could get any stranger.

"Where'd you park?"

"Oh, um, by the entrance," I said looking around the lot.

"Okay, I'll walk you over, yeah?"

"It's fine, I can meet you back over here with my car," I say trying to move past him.

"I'd rather you didn't go alone. It's dark and there's a lot of creeps out here."

I roll my eyes and he lets me pass. He closes his trunk and I lead the way to my car.

I unlock it and can't help but notice his confused expression.

"What?" I ask.

"Who's car is this," he asks climbing into the passenger seat.

I slid the key into the ignition before answering, "A friend's. Mine's totaled, remember."

"Oh, sh*t, sorry. Right."

I reverse out of the spot, heading to the spot where his car is parked.

"You know," he says chuckling, "they make these seats adjustable for a reason."

I shoot him a confused look. Is he making a joke about having car sex?

He points at me and I realize I huddled over the wheel with the seat back far away from touching my back.

"Oh," I say suddenly self-conscious. "Right."

I lean back a little biting my lip hard as I recline into the chair and the uncomfortable sensation of the welts on my back pressing against the seat throbs.

I can feel him watching me and I try to relax a little.

"Don't hurt yourself now," he says sarcastically.

I let out an awkward laugh and cringe with embarrassment at the sound that I just made.

"Stop here."

I stop and put the car in park.

"Do you think you could help me move my car?"

I give him an "are you serious?" look and he smiles.

"Don't worry Lys, you'll just be steering."

I crawl out of the warmth of my car and follow him to the driver side of his car. I climb into the seat and immediately realize how much taller he is than me. My feet barely touch the pedals.

He stands in front of the car and braces himself against the hood. He sends me a thumbs up and starts to push. At first, nothing happens, but then suddenly I'm jolted back as the car begins to move backward. I start to turn the wheel as we pull out and he releases the hood of the car, it moving on its own now. I hit the brakes and search for an emergency brake. I finally find it as he comes around to the hood with jumper cables in hand.

I see him climb into my car and pop the hood. He attaches the cables quickly and does the same to his car after unlatching his hood. He opens the door and leans against the frame.

"Okay, so in a minute or two, turn the key."

I nod and realize how close we are. I can feel my heart beating in my chest as he looks at me. I can't read his expression but take in his features. I notice a mole above his left temple and the way that his hair falls across his forehead. A curl has started to form in his now almost dry hair.

Before I can stop my hand, I move to brush away a fallen lash on his nose. When my hand touches his cool skin my heart skips a beat. I quickly pull my hand back and suck in a breath as I avert my eyes to the floor.

When I look back up, he's still watching me, making my cheeks burn. Lyssa, you're such an embarrassment to the human race. Please just let me disappear right now.

He smiles before lifting himself off of the car.

"Go ahead," he says motioning with his head.

I remember what we were doing and turn the key. His car engine starts immediately and he walks back under the head of the car. He slams it shut and latches it before detaching the ends from my battery.

I watch as he wraps the cable around his elbow and hand, his muscles flexing. He disappears behind the car and I jump down.

He reappears and puts his hands into his pockets.

"Well Lyssa Richter, it was a pleasure."

I chuckle at his sudden formality and can't help but smile.

He clears his throat, kicking some gravel on the road.

"Can we do this again?"

He looks into my eyes hopeful. I bite my lip in indecision. I don't know. Everything is screaming at me to stay away from him. If Darren ever finds out, I'm dead. Not to mention, he could be just as violent.

I sigh annoyed at myself for still debating things when the answer was clear.

"I don't think I want to see another fight," I say gauging his reaction.

He nods smiling, obviously happy that I didn't directly say no.

"I think we've got a homework assignment we're supposed to be working on, don't we?"

I roll my eyes at his mention of our previous lie and slowly nod in agreement. What the hell did I just agree to?

************************************

What do you guys think???