10

"My baby girl is getting married. I knew I'd see this day but, not so soon," her father said.

"I'm twenty-eight years old dad," Kenadie laughed.

"Still, every parent has a small part of them that never wants to let go of their child."

He smiled at her and she returned the gesture. Her happiness ran parallel with raging nerves and anxiety. She swore her bouquet would slip out of her hands if her palms kept sweating so profusely.

She was currently staring at wooden double doors that led to a garden behind the Radnor hotel, where the ceremony would be taking place.

Where her groom would be waiting.

Her mother, Eryka and Aurora stood in a line in front of her, ready to file into the garden. She thought it unfair that they would get to see him first, but felt reassured knowing she'd be the one to stand with him. It was her wedding after all.

A tall slender woman who had earlier introduced herself as the wedding planner pinned mics to the back of their dresses and the lapel of Russ' suit jacket. She instructed the three women to go in first. It felt odd, meeting one's wedding planner on the actual day. But then again, nothing about this was normal.

Kenadie fiddled with the heart necklace which hung around her neck with one hand whilst the other held a death grip on a bouquet of purple roses. The necklace felt cool, a slight ease to her anxiousness.

He's just as nervous as you, she thought.

She and Russ watched as Aurora, Eryka and Wanda made their way towards the aisle. Before she could catch a glimpse of the man at the end of it, the doors were closed shut.

She sighed.

"This is it dad, I'm going to get married."

"This is it." He kissed the side of her head.

She hooked her arm through her father's.

The wedding planner opened the double doors, completely this time.

A cool breeze hit them as they stepped outside. The garden was beautiful with large trees whose branches formed an arch over the guests below and flowers in full bloom, green grass beneath their feet. A soft sounding violin echoed from speakers which she couldn't spot.

The guests sat on white wooden chairs. She recognized a few faces and smiled at the fact that her family had actually bothered to show up. But then again, the family's designated singleton was getting married; of course they had to witness this.

A lot more faces were unfamiliar and they looked at her in what she wasn't sure was scrutiny or just awe. They had to be taking her in all her two piece gown, afro glory.  

But only one person mattered right now. Her eyes were fixed on the man in a navy blue suit standing next to Pastor Reynolds. He stood with his back to her and as if sensing her intense gaze, he turned around.

At the first sight of her, he broke into a nervous giggle which she mimicked. The smile on his face creeped all the way up his face, forming slight crinkles around his eyes. As she drowned in the blue sea of his irises, her fear and hesitance seemed to dissipate.

He turned to Pastor Reynolds.

"Is this my bride?" his voice was deep and oozing excitement.

"Well she's the only one here wearing a wedding dress," Russ said, stirring laughter.

Mr Williams let go of her arm and kissed her cheek. He gave a firm handshake to the man who would be marrying his daughter before going to take his seat in the front row.