FORTY-FIVE

Cameron Dawson

When I walk onto the track, I feel all eyes on me and most of the gazes are cold and filled with disappointment. I guess it's not everyday you see your once unbeaten champion walk in after a loss, now is it? I had to admit- it isn't easy. Being the unbeaten champion brought about a lot of power and control here in the track which is something you got to have in this line of business if you want to be successful. However, I don't regret giving my title to Harley. She'll always be remembered as the girl who beat me.

I greet Carlos, the bartender, before taking a seat.

"What'd you want?" He asks and I scratch my chin.

"A glass of whiskey, por favor." I say and he nods, stalking off to pour a glass for me. Mason soon takes a seat beside me and places a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Hey Cam. How are you doing?"

I run a hand through my hair and sigh. "I'm fine. Harley on the other hand..."

I've known Mason since I've stepped foot on this track and even though Caleb is my best friend, I've always felt a lot more relatable to Mason simply because our worlds are so similar. I know that he's involved in a gang and is far from innocent which is why I feel like I can trust him. He helped me save Harley, no questions asked, and has being asking about her ever since. Of course I would never tell him the whole truth about me, I'm not going to put his life on the line either, but I know he knows I'm not clean and yet he still accepts me like that.

"I'm sorry man. How's she taking it?" He asks sympathetically, asking Carlos for a beer when he slides my whiskey to me.

I shrug. "She's on edge and very jumpy."

Mason purses his lips. "You gone to the police or something?"

I nod. "Got a friend in the force."

Mason sends me a sideways glance. "Why would someone wanna take Harley? You got yourself into some deep shit?" He asks and I take a sip of my drink.

"I'm from Colombia." Is my response and I watch as he nods to himself, knowing what kind of business I was in. Colombia is known for drugs.

"You sure your cop friend is trustworthy? Those bastards are sneaky shits."

I don't hesitate to nod my head. "Yeah man. He knows about my dirty dealings."

"I hope he gets the asshole bro. If he doesn't, I'm always here though and I know how to shoot a bullet through a head."

I almost chuckle at his words but find the situation too serious to do so. "Thanks for helping me Mason. You got no idea how much I appreciate it."

He gives me a smile. "You're my friend Cam, I got you."

I smile at him, appreciating our friendship. I've never being a fan of them but I know I can trust Mason. He's a good guy.

"By the way, Sam really liked Harley."

I smile to myself. "Speaking of Sam, how's she doing?"

He shrugs. "Good, worried about what went down but not surprised considering she's dating me."

I nod with a breath of a laugh.

"I've being meaning to ask, what the fuck happened Cam? Losing your title to Harley?" He asks incredulously before letting out a low whistle.

"It's a long story but I had to."

Mason shakes his head. "She must be one special girl if you care enough to give something like that up."