TWENTY-THREE

Harley Anderson

"You're like a little girl in the makeup aisle," Cameron muses and I pout childishly at him from where I'm sat in his Corvette. After Cameron let me see the cars  I didn't hesitate to climb into all of them as well as check their hoods to see the impeccable conditions of all their engines.

Cameron gets up from where he's leaning against the wall and checks his watch. "We need to get going Harley. I need to go lay my bet down."

I nod, feeling slightly disappointed to have to leave all the cars behind. I climb out of the car and close the door gently, following Cameron outside where he switches the alarm back on and locks the garage doors after closing it. By now, the sky is dark, the moon visible and the stars already twinkling.

"Where exactly do you lay your bet?" I ask curiously and he glances at me.

"You'll see now."

I follow him back into the bar that is noticeably busier than when we were here earlier. Inside the bar is another smaller room that I hadn't previously noticed and it's bustling with people. We walk into it, waiting our turn to reach the man behind the large mahogany desk. The room smells thickly of cigars and I cough lightly from it. All kinds of people enter and leave the room, some of them casting me dirty looks on their way. I find myself subconsciously moving closer to Cameron due to the comfort and security he offers me.

When we reach the desk, the man who seemed to have a permanent scowl on his face finally breaks into a smile at Cameron. "Clark," Cameron nods in greeting and the man returns the gesture before glancing at me.

"Who's this?" He asks, taking an envelope from Cameron.

"A friend of mine- Harley." He introduces me. I ignore the disappointment from the title I'm given and instead cast the man a smile.

"Hello." I greet and he sticks his hand out.

"Clark. Nice to meet you missy."

I smile at him before he pulls the documents out of Cameron's envelope. He reads it over before looking up to him. "Betting your Chevy and then thirty grand?" He asks and Cameron nods.

"Yeah. Who am I up against?" He asks and Clark checks a sheet of a paper.

"Donald and later Silver. Your race with Donald is the first one up. " He responds and Cameron nods. My eyebrows raise in surprise. I didn't know that Cameron sometimes raced more than once in a day.

"Everything is in order." Clark announces, sliding the documents back into the envelope.

"See you later Clark." Cameron nods and we leave the room back to the boisterous bar.

"So you have two races tonight?" I ask, having to talk louder due to the noise in the room. When we're back into the crisp night, Cameron nods. We return to the back garage and we pull out with his Chevvy before parking it beside his signature Mustang. He climbs out of the car before leaning his back against it. When I round the car to his side, he watches me intently.

"How's your wrist?"

I bring it up to my eyes to look at it, having totally forgotten about it due to been so excited over all his cars. An ugly blue bruise is present but it's nothing intense. I shake my head, dropping my hand back down to my side.

"I've had worse." I respond before realizing my mistake. Cameron notices it too, his eyes narrowing ever so slightly but I have no time to correct myself when I'm suddenly embraced in a bone-crushing hug with a loud shriek deafening me. I pull away with a loud laugh.