SIX

Cameron Dawson

It's a crazy idea. An absolutely, incredibly, undeniably, ridiculous idea.

But I agreed to it anyway.

I'll admit that she isn't the first person to ask me for something so crazy but she is the first person I've ever agreed to. I know I probably shouldn't have agreed but I can see that there is more than what meets the eye with Harley. And she is desperate for an escape. Who am I to deprive her of an opportunity to help her with that? I cope with life by racing and it would be selfish of me not to help someone else in the same way.

However, she is still frustrating. She's sassy and snarky when she wants to be. She's insane; showing up at an illegal racetrack and then asking the unbeaten champion to teach her what he knew. She doesn't belong in my world- she's too innocent. And my world is far from that.

But if she loves cars as much as it seems, as much as I can see, then maybe it'll be worth it to her.

I'll admit she isn't half bad. In fact, she's far from it. She seems to understand the basics of racing more or less. The issue is that she's always nervous; she isn't confident enough. If she hit the tracks in a legitimate race she would surely crash the car due to panicking. It's the same thing with people who drown- most of the time it only happens because they panic.  Not because they can't swim.

"Cameron!" A familiar voice calls out and I look up from the engine of my car to Emery. He's a short stocky man who is always clad in a suit with a shiny bald head.

I wipe my hands on my jeans and smile at the man who is the only fatherly figure left in my life.

"Are you racing tonight?" He asks and I nod.

"Yes."

Emery is the founder of the track; he controls everything. The prizes, the racers, the races themselves. This is his business and he pumps a lot of money from it. Not only him, but a lot of the other people, too. Because unfortunately there is more than just racing going on here at the tracks.

"Are you betting cash or car?" He asks as I close the hood of my car.

I shrug again. "Most probably car."

Betting car meant that if I won, I received my opponent's car. It's worse than betting cash which is why only the best of the best actually use it as a method. I, for one, enjoy it the most. It pushed me further in the race to my upmost ability because, come on, who doesn't want to win a car?

Emery makes sure that when the prizes are handed over, all legal documents are too. They aren't necessarily achieved legally but it would be easy for someone to give over their car to the winner and report it as theft the next day. That's why Emery takes his job seriously; because there are quite a lot of things on the line. This also means that Emery is strict as hell; he's all business when it came to the tracks. He takes no shit from anyone; not even his best racers. He's definitely a man to be reckoned with and I can tell that my father would've admired that about him.

"I take it that you'll be spending more time here now that your classes are over?"

I nod with a smile. "Of course, Emery."

Emery smiles, seemingly happy with my response. I know that Emery also requests my presence quite frequently due to the fact that I have a reputation. Due to me being the unbeaten champion, it puts Emery's track at an advantage over others because people love to come and challenge me to a race. This leads to different people pitching up and before you know it, your support is growing at a fast rate.