TWENTY-SEVEN

Harley Anderson

The next few days pass by uneventfully. I ended up covering more shifts for Allison since she's being having a rough week and when I wasn't working, I was either racing with Cameron or eating waffles at his house. The strange and hooded figure hasn't appeared anywhere lately and although I'm relieved, I'm still the slightest bit uncomfortable.

Cameron and I have also being rather... close lately. We touch each other a lot more, whether it be a hand lingering on my hip or mine on his arm, and cast lingering glances when we're both in the kitchen making waffles. It made me think that maybe, just maybe, he felt the same way. But then I realized I was insane to even think that- there's no hope for us. We're just friends, comfortable with each other. I'll admit that I feel a lot stronger towards him, my hand often itching to run through his hair or to wrap my arms around him and close my eyes. And it's beginning to terrify me because I cannot get involved with him. Every person I've ever loved, cared for, trusted, has kicked me to the curb, left me without a second thought. I don't need another person to add to the list.

I feel something flick my head and I turn to Audrey who is watching me with a raised eyebrow.

"What?" I ask, shoveling a spoonful of Fruit Loops into my mouth although I push the orange dusted ones to the side, hating the artificial flavoring those leave in my mouth.

"What's got you thinking so hard?" She asks and I shrug.

"I'm studying literature, Auds. My mind is always buzzing with new plots." I say, the words true but not in this precise moment. She laughs.

"You think too hard."

"Only you would say such a thing." I respond with an eye roll.

"Is that supposed to be an insult?"

I playfully roll my eyes. "I'm heading to work. I'll see you later for Cameron's race." I say and she smiles, pulling out her phone before scrolling on it aimlessly. I place my plate in the sink before grabbing my bag.

"Okay." She replies absentmindedly as I close the door to my apartment behind me.

When I arrive at Joe's Coffee Shop, the bell above the door lets out an annoying ring when I enter and Allison- in all her pale and ghostly state- looks up to me with a smile. I make my way around the counter, placing my bag on the bench before pulling my apron off of the rack hanging on the wall and pulling it over my head. I walk to Allison as I tie a tight not behind my back.

"Why are you here? You look like death warmed up." I ask and she playfully glares at me, resting against the counter tiredly.

"I'll be on maternity leave in the next few weeks so I'll be okay."

I cast her a sideways glance, picking up empty glasses littered across the counter. "You should take it now. Besides, I'm sure it's not good to be straining yourself while you're carry a little boy." I say and she waves a dismissive hand.

"I'm not straining myself Harley. I'm doing something constructive before I can't for the next five months."

I let out a laugh. "Alright."

After handing the dishes to our cleaner, I reach for my notepad and walk towards a familiar face who seems to come here quite often. Whenever I ask him why, he simply smiles at me and says: "I just love the atmosphere of this place." I would laugh and nod my head, agreeing with him wholeheartedly before taking down his order of ground black coffee and an apple tart. It's pointless to even ask what he wants at this point.

"Hello Officer Frank." I greet him when I reach his table.

He smiles at me, looking up from the newspaper. "Hiya Harley. How are you today?"