FORTY-THREE

Cameron Dawson

"What the hell happened?" Emery exclaims at me and I sigh. Today I am finally getting the heat of losing my title at the track because it also affects Emery and his reputation. People used to love coming to the track to try and beat me- it generated a lot of competition and new racers. However, now that I'm no longer the unbeaten champion...

"I had to Emery. Harley needed to win."

He gives me a stern look, reminding me of all the times my father scolded me for my bad dealing.

"Why? Because she's your lover now?"

"Don't patronise me Emery. We both know I worked hard for the title and I wouldn't have given it up if I didn't need to." I respond tersely, hoping he'll get the message and drop the subject. I already feel bad for making Harley feel like she's the one at fault so I don't need Emery making it any worse.

He's about to say something again when his phone rings. He fishes it out of his suit pocket and glances at the screen before pressing it to his ear and answering the caller abruptly. He leaves the room and I lean back in my chair while waiting for his return.

I run a hand through my hair and check the time on my watch, noticing that it's already past midnight. I feel my phone vibrate in my own pocket and I pull it out, hoping to see Harley's name on the screen. Instead, I see an unknown number.

Unknown: Hello Danté

My heart seems to stop beating for a second as I read my name over. Panic coils itself around my stomach as I try to think of who it is that knows me. However, another message interrupts me.

Unknown: Lets play a game.

Someone knows me. This can only mean one thing: trouble. The second message makes me more uneasy than the last and I gulp, feeling my guard build up.

Unknown: How about we call it... Where Could Harley Be?

I freeze, the alarms in my mind going off. The worry that seems to wash over me makes me shoot up from my chair. When my phone begins to ring, I immediately answer it upon seeing Mason's Caller ID. He'll help me find her.
The minute I press the phone to my ear, his words make my heart clench.

"Someone took her man. Someone has her."

His voice in panicked, tense and I pace up and down while running a hand through my hair.

"Who?" I inquire, my hands already balling up into a fist.

"I don't know Cam. This guy threw her into a car and drove off outside of the club."

My mind processes the information and I try make sense of it. I know that Harley and Audrey went to a club, she told me, but how would anyone even know that?

Her stalker.

I curse under my breath. "Are you there?" I ask.

"Yeah. Audrey is in hysterics Cam. She can't calm down and I don't know what to do."

I grab my jacket and pull it over, leaving Emery's office without so much as a goodbye. "I'll be there soon." I tell him and cut the call before heading to my car and pulling out but not before sending Caleb a message and telling him to meet me at the club ASAP.

I'm not letting anyone hurt Harley because of me. I'm not going to let anyone hurt Harley at all.

****

I step out of my car the minute it stops outside of the club and walk over to Mason who is trying to calm Audrey down. When he notices me, he leaves Audrey by Samantha's side and comes to me.