Chapter 16

After getting entertainment from drunk people singing karaoke, JJ got a thought. "Do you want to go to the drive in tonight? I heard there are some pretty good movies playing." JJ said.

"Yeah! I haven't been to the drive in in so long." Emily said.

"Okay! In the mean time, we can get things around for it. We have about five hours before we should get there." JJ said. Emily nodded her head, and so they went up and paid for their food and left.

"So, whose car are we taking?" Emily asked.

"I was going to ask Derek if we can use his truck." JJ said.

"Okay. That works for me. Were you planning on getting blankets and all that stuff?" Emily asked.

"Yep. The more romantic, the better." JJ said with a smile. They went out to the car and went to Emily's apartment to gather the blankets and pillows. Also to give Sergio food and water.

"So I was looking on the website for the drive in, and the choices are: screen one, Megan Fox movies, screen two, Disney movies, or screen three, sex movies." Emily said.

"What are the movies?" JJ asked.

"Jennifer's body and This is 40, Wreck-It Ralph and Ratatouille, and the first two Fifty Shades of Grey movies." Emily answered.

"Okay. So, we should watch Jennifer's body and then drive over and watch Ratatouille." JJ said.

"Can we even do that?" Emily asked.

"The team and I do it all the time." JJ said.

"Okay. Will Derek let us borrow his truck?" Emily asked.

"He said yeah. As long as we don't have too much fun." JJ said. Emily and JJ laughed a little bit before sitting down.

"How do you do it?" Emily asked.

"What?" JJ asked.

"How do you go out into the world and see all of those dead people? The brutality of all the crimes. How do you see all of that but not let it get to you?" Emily asked.

"I just compartmentalize a little bit better than most. But, there are cases that still get to me. There was a case where women who look almost exactly like you were being murdered, and the entire time, I was thinking about if one of those women were you. I knew that if I heard your voice, I would know that you were okay. I couldn't concentrate on the case because the thought of you being one of them wouldn't leave my head. Then there a cases with kids being kidnapped or whatever. I can't concentrate very well because I'm worrying about my own kids and their safety and wondering if they are okay. What I'm saying is that even though I don't let cases get to me and push the to the back of my mind, there are cases that I can't let go of." JJ said.

"It must be hard." Emily said.

"It is. But, I wouldn't want it any other way. The best part is knowing that we've helped families and putting sick people in prison." JJ said.

"I can't imagine what all of the different criminals you've put away."

"There's so many different types." JJ said. "Now I get to look forward to coming home to you." Emily smiled and gave JJ a kiss. It started getting a little heated, but it was interrupted by JJ getting a text. "I swear..." JJ said, trailing off.

"What is it?" Emily asked.

"Derek wants to know who is driving." JJ said.

"Um, I will I guess." Emily told her. JJ nodded and texted Derek back. Four hours later, the two girls were on their way to the drive in. Once they got in after waiting in line for about 10 minutes, Emily parked in the middle of the area of screen one. "Okay. We have water, ham sandwiches, a couple different types of chips, watermelon, grapes, frosted animal crackers, and a lot of chocolate." Emily informed JJ.