Chapter 13: Staz (Part 1/5)

Start from the beginning

          His friends had been in and out. The bulk of his encounters centered on Truvius, who had taken Mariel's job as an unqualified, glass refilling, and handkerchief providing, nurse. 

          In his spurt of bumpy naps, he finally managed to soothe his scratchy throat enough to pass out for a few hours. However, his break of serenity hadn't lasted long enough. The deep slumber shattered by a voice akin to the Antichrist.

          Ray.

          "He knows, I gave him a book and everything. It's not like I just tossed him on Lumi to fend for himself." Ray's towering shadow swept past Káel as he left the room with Mariel, the two of them exchanging in a string of harsh whispers until the door sealed, and their voices fell flat.

           Káel pulled himself up with a groan, running his fingers through his slick tangles of hair and pulling back with disgust at the slimy consistency. He got his answer when he glanced at Puff, the small dragon licking his lips before turning to grooming his own face. 

          With a stiff pop, Káel loosened his back, speared at every angle with the strained screams of his over-exhausted muscles. But after the hours spent bound to his bed, he had to give them a stretch, even if it was a short walk. Visiting Lady Samanthra sounded like a short enough venture, but he hadn't the foggiest clue as to where the administrator was. And he doubted Phantom could help.

           Káel sighed, his rough throat scraping with a couple sticky swallows, and forcing him to down another glass of water to soothe the raw pain. As he glugged the liquid, the door before him flew open, a gusting breeze spiking Káel's surprise and forcing the trickle of water down his windpipe.  

          Alestra was greeted with a string of violent coughs as she gently closed the door, hazelled eyes resting on Káel in calculative patience for him to get over it. "Sorry, Mariel told me you were still sleeping."

           Káel tried to reply, but hacked out a pressed cough, eyes squinted with painful tears that trickled down his cheeks. Her visit wasn't even on his list of expectations, and her greeting, void of care and to the point, did anything but comfort. 

          Would she have come into the room if he wasn't sleeping?

          "I know this is a little weird..." she started, waiting for Káel to down the rest of the glass and choke his fit. "But I have a question."

           Káel lifted his chin, their gazes locked as he saw a shimmer of worry in Alestra's eyes. She moved to open her mouth, the words pulled back by a mysterious force as her body shrank back.

          "What?" Káel said, his tone flat enough to draw a flinch from her.

          She hesitated again, a scale with unknown consequences weighing heavily on her mind as it dictated the words flowing from her mouth. "When we fell through the floor... what spell did you use on that Molve?"

          Káel tilted his head, his face a tapestry of confusion. "Rastasnatch?"

          Alestra shook her head. "The other one."

          The other one?

           He tried to trace his memories back, but all he remembered was the fireball, followed by a wave of exhaustion that swallowed him whole. Eyes searching the lucid floor, Káel twisted himself to sit off the side of the bed, but the new position couldn't spring his memories.

          He gave Phantom a fleeting glance, his silence lingering too long as he noticed Alestra's feet. Ever so slowly backing away.

         "It's okay," she breathed, dipping her head in one way understanding. "I'm one too."