1 | she's straight

I took one deep breath as I thanked the cabbie as he unloaded his trunk of my stuff. He smiled back. "Good luck, Rosa."

I didn't bother correcting him and just said another thank you before I lugged my stuff into the dorm building. The dorm building was a typical brick building located beside a Starbucks and behind the College of Fine Arts building. The entrance was decorated with a welcome sign to all students - new and returning. I headed to the concierge to claim my key before heading to my room.

"Ni hao!" A tall, muscular blonde white guy said as I made my way to the elevator. He was dressed in a forest green polo and a green varsity jacket with creme sleeves - the school colours. "Welcome to Parkwood University! Do you speak English?"

The tan guy beside him smacked his friend with the back of his hand. He was more slender than the blonde dude but also had an athletic build. Honestly, the two were actually quite good-looking. They kinda looked like the Abercombie models you see online.

"Stop being fucking racist, Brent, and help the girl with her bags." He said with a thick accent that didn't sound American. It sounded like an urban British accent. It was comforting knowing there were other international students like promised.

Parkwood University was one of the best universities in all of New York. I chose it not only because it was the second best fashion university. (Parsons was first, but they didn't offer a scholarship and I couldn't afford both tuition and housing.) I also chose it because they were a school that prided itself with diversity. The university housed students of all ages, colours, and background from all over the world. One of the university's core principles was actually 'unity through diversity.' It aimed to have its students learn to have an international and liberal approach of thinking. It was something that appealed to me greatly especially coming from such a diverse background.

The tan guy helped me carry my things as he guided me to the elevator. "Don't mind, Brent. He's not exactly representative of the university." He said. "He's just joking around. Quite inappropriately, if I may say."

"That's alright." I chuckled.

"Oh, Australian?" He looked shocked by my accent.

"And you're British?"

"Yeah, yeah, but you're Korean, aye?"

I nodded. "How'd you know?"

He gestured to the sticker on my luggage with my name on it. "Park Chaeyoung," He read. "Common Korean last name."

"Yeah, but call me Rosé." I said. I was about to offer my hand for him to shake but I realized he was busy carrying both my luggages.

He chuckled. "Nice to meet you, Rosé. I'm Franco." He said as he lugged the stuff into the elevator. "What's your room number?"

"Dorm 333," I said as we both entered the elevator.

"Great, third floor. I guess this is where most of us overseas folk are staying." He said as he pressed the button. "There are a lot of Koreans here too. Wendy at room 348 makes the best kimchi rice and spicy rice cakes. She sells a take-out box full of 'em for a couple of dollars. Ugh, the absolute best."

I nodded and made a mental note.

Once we arrived to the floor, he continued to guide me towards my room. "Hey, I'm sorry again for Brent." He said sincerely. "I hope that doesn't taint your reputation of the uni. He's just a big jokester, even though he isn't really that funny."

I chuckled. "It's fine, it's fine." I smiled. "Thank you for helping me with all my crap, by the way."

He winked as he left. "No problem, Rosé."