Oklahoma City Bombing

The Oklahoma City bombing was allegedly a domestic terrorist truck bombing on the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, in downtown Oklahoma City, United States on April 19, 1995. The alleged perpetrators were Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols. It occurred at 9:02 A.M., instantly killing at least 168 people including 19 children, injuring more than 680 others, and destroyed one third of the building.

The blast destroyed and damaged 324 other buildings within a 16 block radius, shattered glass in 258 nearby buildings, and destroyed and singed 86 vehicles

Within 90 minutes of the attack, Timothy McVeigh is arrested for "driving without a license plate and unlawfully carrying a weapon." He is later charged with the bombing.

Early news report claim that other bombs are discovered inside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. After 44 days, the owner of the rental van suddenly identify McVeigh as the culprit. However, the van owner does not testify at McVeigh's trial, where he is convicted and sentenced to death.

2 other men are convicted as co-conspirators, despite McVeigh confessing that he acted alone.

Judge Wayne Alley tells the Oregonian newspaper that he was warned of an attack days before the bombing. Coincidentally, Alley's offices were blasted apart by the bomb, but he was not present. Judge Alley was selected to preside over Timothy McVeigh's trial.

On January 17, 1997, an ABC documentary reveals that several Oklahoma City witnesses saw bomb squads "on manoeuvres," on the morning of the bomb.

Authors Lane Crothers and Mark Hamm accuse President Bill Clinton of having prior knowledge of the attack. They claim that he used the attack to justify antiterrorism legislation, and turn public opinion against rightwing private militias.

On May 11, 2001, the FBI is forced to relinquish thousands of defence documents which were, "mistakenly withheld," from McVeigh's trial.

One month later, Timothy McVeigh is executed by lethal injection.