Operation Northwoods

The term, "false flag," is defined as, "covert operations conducted by governments, corporations or other organizations, which are designed to appear as though they were carried out by other entities."

Governments often stage acts of terror or horrible criminal incidents, in order to cast blame on political enemies.

In early 1960's, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff concocted a plan for false flag operations, as a pretext to invade Cuba. "Operation Northwoods," called for various false flag incidences, including simulated or real state sponsored terrorism on U.S. and Cuban soil.

In these documents, they strategized to hijack jets via remote control, in order to crash them and place the blame on Cuba. There were various other terrorist attacks contained within the document.

One particular scenario mentioned the destruction of a U.S. naval vessel that was to be blamed on a foreign power. It was a pretext for war with any selected enemy.

President Lyndon B. Johnson conducted Operation Northwoods on June 8, 1967, during the 6 day war between Israel and Arab nations. The U.S.S. Liberty was sent by Johnson to collect electronic intelligence in the eastern Mediterranean. The U.S. Intelligence Ship was 14 miles from the coast of Israel in international waters.

"A short time after the air attack had been completed, the 3 torpedo boats approach us from our starboard quarter at high speed, and in an evident, launching attitude." A statement from a member of the crew aboard the Liberty.

Israeli surveillance aircraft flew low over the ship, identifying it as an American vessel. At 2 P.M. that afternoon, the U.S.S. Liberty was attacked by 3 fighter bombers. From the onset of the attack, the fighter bombers were intercepting U.S. signals.

In addition to targeting U.S. signals, they were also unmarked; the only unmarked aircraft in Israel's arsenal. Fighter bombers blasted the ship with their cannons, while dropping conventional munitions and napalm on board, repeatedly from stem to stern. Afterwards, the ship was hit by medium bomber miseries, baring napalm and other munitions like white phosphorus.

The U.S.S. Liberty was also attacked by 3 Israeli torpedo boats, baring Israeli flags. The torpedo gun boats opened fire with high caliber machine guns, as well as launched several torpedoes. A single torpedo struck the ship, causing a hole in both sides from entering the ship, and leaving a 30 foot exit hole upon exploding.

The attack on the Liberty continued for hours. During the attack, the U.S.S. Liberty continually called the sixth fleet nearby, pleading for air support or rescue. 2 aircraft carriers and Admiral Geiss responded by launching a fighter aircraft, which were recalled by the Whitehouse. The carriers in the sixth fleet personally called Washington in order to confirm the recall. The Secretary of Defence, Robert McNamara confirmed this, and President Johnson told Admiral Geiss, "I want that goddamn ship going to the bottom. No help. Recall the wings."

Despite the U.S. carriers withdrawing their assistance, a Russian spy ship appeared, witnessing a portion of the attack. After 3 hours into the attack, the Israelis withdrew, allowing the damaged U.S.S. Liberty to coast to safety.

40 years after this attack on the U.S.S. Liberty, it can be understood what truly occurred.

"I've interviewed former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Thomas Moorer. I've interviewed the Admirals that were on the line, those who heard what President Johnson said. I have even talked to the head JAGC officer of the navy, who was ordered to falsify the reports. One of the Israeli pilots has become public as well, claiming that he refused over his radio to headquarters, to attack the ship, that it was clearly an American vessel on international waters, in addition to being an ally. He was ordered under threat of court marshal to engage the ship. In a nutshell, President Johnson had personal control over the U.S.S. Liberty, parked it in the Mediterranean, created a plan with Israel to attack it, with an order to kill everyone aboard. The attack on the ship was to be blamed on Egypt, the U.S. would enter the war and claim the entire Middle East in the aftermath of the attack. On the most highly decorated ship of U.S. history, the captain and his entire crew were told to remain quiet with the threat of life imprisonment or death. Captain William L. Mcgonagle was given the congressional Medal of Honour in secret, strictly being told not to publicly announce his award."