The Burnt House Mystery

Okay, this is a new thing but has been creeping me out for days. I have heard of a lot of suspicious stuff and always liked mysteries but there has been a really weird one that happened right near me and it's freaking me the fuck out.

So for context, a bunch of our family friends and my grandparents bought these abandoned homes in Rural France back in like the 80s when houses were dirt cheap and have been visiting here for ages. So there's just randomly about ten English families in this one tiny French village that's so small there's not even a cafe. Anyway, ours is in the dead centre so it's all nice and safe but our friends bought one really far out with the nearest neighbour living half a mile away.

And now it's burnt down.

So these family friends come out very regularly, ten times a year or something and left the electricity on to sustain a freezer and things. I think they'd just left like a week before and then got a call that the whole thing had burnt down to the ground. It's a very big house, divided into three sections by massive stone walls and there's this barn up top which do come into it later.

It was really odd the way it happened too. It was only discovered at 3 AM when their neighbour up the hill woke up and looked out the window to see flames so high that they literally could be seen above these massive trees. So the Fire brigade came a bit later but couldn't put it out because there was electricity in the house and that would make it worse. The only bit they could save was the third section as it was unrenovated and there was no electricity in it.

So when our friends came out, they found a lot of things mangled in the fire but still present such as his bike and even her metal candlesticks. But there were a bunch of tools missing and for some of them, it was just the metal bit that was gone so it had clearly been taken out on purpose. They later when up to their property a bit and found a bunch of the tools laid out really neatly outside their barn completely untouched by the fire.

Also, the house was massive and there were very little flammable things inside so I don't really see how the fire could have spread and literally burnt the entire thing to the ground, especially given the house is divided into three parts by REALLY thick stone walls and fire doors.

To me, it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If it was a burglary, why would you set the house on fire afterwards? Surely in a burglary you just want to get in and out as fast as possible so as not to alert attention, burning the house down seems utterly reckless. It could have been an accident as it was 3 AM when the fire was seen but for it to spread through a massive blocked stone wall seems odd.

My Granny suggested something even weirder which was that somebody could have been living there and burnt it down to avoid DNA being found. It looks pretty lived in though and they visit really regularly as that house is basically their child so that means somebody may have been watching them.

I don't know. I hate it and have no idea what is going on.

I tried to go and look closer but it was all boarded up and then a dog started following me which was all mangy and creepy

I tried to go and look closer but it was all boarded up and then a dog started following me which was all mangy and creepy. Luckily some boys saved me when I looked at them with terror and distracted the boy whilst I bolted in the other direction with a murmured thank you. I have no idea who they are but I am very grateful.

Anyway, sorry for slow replies and inactivity lately, I haven't had wifi for a few days and have been out a lot - E x