Chapter 13

We arrived at a small brick café with swirly pink designs on the glass door and a drawing of fake tier cakes and cups of coffee as the sign. It looked a little run-down, but in the cutest way possible. Carrie’s Cuddly Café was the name printed in big letters on the top of the building.

Andrew opened my door before I even knew he had gotten out. I was more than a little surprised, since he hadn’t done this on our way here. By the shy smile he gave me, I’m guessing he realized he wasn’t the gentleman he should’ve been.

“Oh,” I got out of the car, putting very little space between me and Andrew. “Thanks.”

“Just being a gentleman for once,” he said, smirking.  Momentarily trapping me against the car, he closed the door, and then hit the automatic lock button. On our way inside, he took my hand, once again lacing our fingers together.  

The smell of freshly brewed coffee, and warm flaky pastries greeted us when we walked inside. Smooth coffee crèmes and soft cocoa were lined on the walls in hundreds of flavors. Several different cakes—strawberry shortcake, red velvet, chocolate, marble, coconut, and tons more—were presented in a display case. The walls were painted a soft cream, decorated with pictures of prize-worthy cakes and dark, rich coffee.

“Whoa,” I said, inhaling the café’s aroma.

Andrew chuckled from beside me. “Wait until you taste their sandwiches.”

I looked at him with wide eyes. “So what are we waiting for? Let’s eat!”

He laughed, leading me to a dark wooden circular table with a flower centerpiece. He pulled out my chair for me, and then sat in his own seat across from me.

“This place is cute,” I said, looking around the room once more.

This made Andrew smile. “I’m glad you like it. I used to come here a lot, but not so much anymore.”

I frowned. “Why not? Is there some sort of rat infestation I should know about?” I was joking, of course, but that would explain why there are so few people here.

Andrew laughed. “No, there’re no rats, just jerks.” He nodded his head to something behind me. When I turned, there was a tall guy with floppy golden blonde hair wearing a dark blue t-shirt with the café’s logo on it and dark jeans. He was headed to our table, so I’m guessing he’s our waiter.

“Hey,” the boy said once he reached us. “Andrew, dude, what’s up? Haven’t seen you in forever.”

Andrew rolled his eyes. “We haven’t exactly been on the best terms if you’ve forgotten.”

The guy laughed, throwing his head back. “Don’t tell me you’re still mad about that?”

Andrew narrowed his eyes. “Of course I’m still mad, you douchebag.”

The still unidentified guy chuckled, then caught sight of me and grinned. “Oh, I see you’ve found yourself a new lady. I must say, she’s deadly sexy.”

My face went up in flames at his comment, and I had to turn my gaze down to the table. I’ve never even been called pretty before—excluding my mom—let alone sexy. I’m pretty sure he’s just trying to get to Andrew, though, because that’s exactly what he did.

“Yes,” Andrew said. “She is. And she’s also mine, so keep your comments to yourself.”

Oh my gosh. He just said that I’m his. And I think he means as a girlfriend! Wait, I shouldn’t go jumping to conclusions like that, he’s just defending me. Yeah, that’s it.