Chapter 12

I woke up the next morning feeling really hungry. Not the hungry you get when you haven’t eaten dinner when you usually do, but you can wait a few more hours. I’m talking about the hungry you get when you skip breakfast and don’t eat anything until lunch time. My stomach growling was what woke me up. I didn’t notice my malnutrition in my sleep, but now that I’m awake, it’s all I can think about. It wouldn’t hurt to have some crispy, greasy bacon right now, and smooth, buttery pancakes with fresh straw—

Wait a minute. Why is there an arm hanging over my torso? Now that my mind’s off food—sort of—I can now feel a face nuzzled in my neck. What the heck is going on here? I glance around the room, recognizing the familiar blue walls and bed covers. A wooden desk is in the corner with a Mac laptop that’s sporting a black cover. This all looks very familiar…

Suddenly, last night came back to me in one rush. Andrew going out late last night, me being worried about him, Andrew coming back drunk, me taking care of him, and finally, me deciding to sleep in his bed.

I know now that the person holding me tightly in their arms is most definitely Andrew. I blush at our position, realizing it’s like we’re a couple. A married couple at that. Then again, it felt really good to be laying with him like this. I’ve never been held like this before, and it feels better than anything. His soft breathing rang in my ears, and I realized just how close he is to me. It’s comforting, I’ll admit, and also very… grown-up.

Who am I kidding? I am freaking out here!

Here I am with this hot guy holding me like I’m his teddy bear, and I’m just like what the hell is going on? What if I had sex with him last night? Or worse, what if I’m pregnant? Plus, I’m still too freaking hungry to just stay here and starve while I wait for him to get up. I’m sorry Andrew, but that’s not gonna happen. When I’m hungry, I have to eat. Have to.

So, being the hungry hormonal teenage girl that I am, I tried sliding from under his arm, but this only made him slide me back even closer to him than I was before,  his nose tickling the nape of my neck. I tried again, this time being victorious, and slid off of the bed, trying my best not to make it move too much under my weight. Once my feet were safely on the plush carpet, I sighed with relief and made my way to his window, opening the black curtain to let in some sunshine. And boy, was it bright. I actually had to squint my eyes for a while before they adjusted to the light.

Placing my hands on my hips and turning to Andrew’s sleeping figure, I say, “Time to get up sleepyhead.”

Of course, this doesn’t wake him up. He merely grumbles and turns on his stomach.

I didn’t want to have to do this, but he leaves me no choice. Picking up a pillow that had fallen from the bed, I hurl it at Andrew, whacking him right on his head.

“What the hell?” He jumps up almost immediately, squinting his eyes at the light coming in. He catches sight of me standing by the window and groans loudly, plopping back onto his pillow. “Turn that light off, it’s giving me a headache.”

“Sorry, but I can’t turn off the sun.” I shrug, smiling.

He moans again, covering his eyes with his arm, still lying on his back. “You know what I mean, smart ass.”

“Fine, but you should really consider opening your window sometimes. It’s kind of creepy how it’s always so dark in here.” As I say this I close the curtains, not leaving even a sliver of light, knowing that Andrew probably has a hangover from last night. “We should go eat. I’m starving.” I go to his side, poking his abs. Yes, I just did that, and I have no idea why. So don’t ask.

He grinned, eyes still covered by his arm. “Did you just poke me?”

“I did. Now get up and stop being lazy.” I poked his arm this time.