Chapter 5

It's been a week since my last encounter with Andrew. Every time he sees me now, he either grins in mockery, or ignores me. Personally, I prefer the ignoring part. No one else in my family seems to notice his new attitude towards me. They're all too busy laughing and joking around to notice my misery of being annoyed by Andrew every day. John, I will admit, has noticed Andrew giving me the middle finger a few times, to which he did nothing about but laughs. Other than that, John could care less what's going on in my life.

Over the past week, I've also noticed that John has been glued to his phone more than usual, and hasn't exactly been mentally present. Every time I see him, he's bent over his screen, laughing and blushing. I've wondered several times if he was talking to Lindsey, but when I'd ask him, he'd deny it, claiming I was crazy. I'm not too sure if I believe him, though. He seems to be happy that Andrew is pestering me, because now he doesn't have to waste time annoying me that could be spent on texting. Honestly, I haven't minded the change.

On a hot day in June, Aunt Karen thought it would be a good idea for us to spend the weekend at the beach. I didn't protest. In fact, none of us did, including Andrew.

I wore my favorite figure-flattering hot pink bikini, and threw on a white sundress on top. I then contorted my hair into a sloppy bun and secured it with a ponytail holder. To finish my look, I wore my favorite pair of dark sunshades in my hair. I honestly could've passed off as an attractive girl for once in my life.

On the way to the beach, I got stuck in the back of the van with Andrew. Being younger than John, they wouldn't let him sit in the front. So, basically, he crossed his arms and listened to his loud music the whole time. I could seriously hear the angry music coming from his headphones. That can't possibly be good for your ears.

I tapped his shoulder, and he grimaced, slowly turning to face me. "What?" He asked, angrily.

"You might want to turn that down," I suggested. "You know, so you don't damage your hearing."

He rolled his eyes at me and faced the front again.

Such a jerk. I sighed and turned to look out the window, watching the cars blur as they zoomed by. The sun shone through the window, heating the glass. I leaned my head against the warmth, and took a nap for the rest of the way.

When I woke up, John and Dad were unloading our bags and taking them inside of the hotel. Andrew had disappeared from beside me, and I realized I was the only one left in the car. Quickly shaking the sleep off, I climbed out of the car and followed behind everyone out onto the beach. Aunt Karen and my mom had already found a spot in the sand on their beach chairs. Sun hats were perched on their heads, and they sat under a beach umbrella, reading books with their legs stretched out. They both looked like a pair of vintage beach models.

I walked down the beach towards them and slipped off my sundress, so my bikini was exposed. I left my dress on top of my mom's bag and continued down the beach, looking for something I had yet to know I was searching for. I honestly don't know what I was looking for, but I scanned the beach anyway. The sand was a beautiful tan, glowing in the sun, and the water as blue as Andrew's eyes, but the glowing sun made it sparkle like diamonds. It was a beautiful sight that my eyes loved to behold. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the scenery.

This is probably why I didn't see a tall teenage boy approach me. He tapped my shoulder, making me jump. I turned and stared into the eyes of a beautiful boy with glimmering green eyes, and sloppy sandy colored hair. By the looks of his natural tan, I could tell he was born and raised on the beach, just like me. How I miss the glorious California beaches! This thought made me feel a little home sick. But I can handle two more weeks, right? At least, I hope I can.