Chapter 8: In the moment of itensity

The soft wind blew through her hair, sending chills in the back of her neck, as her eyes reached the sight of the beach. She could hear her worn out shoes drumming against the pavement, as she slowly sped up. Only minutes after his mail, she had approached the beach, finding him sitting on the same spot like he had done for nearly a week.

“Couldn’t spend another night without my company, could you?” he mocked, meeting her eyes in a briefly moment, as she slowly slid down next to him, feeling slightly nervous. “Thank you for driving me home today,” she said, eyeing him carefully in the corner of her eye, as she watched him make himself comfortable. His strong arms rested on the back of the bench, while a cigarette was placed in his fingertips. “Thank you for the amusing experience you gave me last night,” he chuckled, as she flushed with pure embarrassment. He took a long drag from his cigarette, before parting his lips to blow out the smoke. The smell caught up under her nose, as the sound of the waves played in the back of her head.

“If it is not too personal to ask, why do you not take your medicine?” he asked all of a sudden, as her green eyes crossed his dark orbs. She folded her hands in her lap, entwining her fingers, before inhaling a sharp breath. “I don’t want to,” she said firmly. Brian looked at Paige; her blonde hair was resting against her shoulders and a miserable expression was plastered on her face. Fighting against the urge to cup her face and push his lips against hers, he nodded. “But you can’t sleep without them?” a sigh escaped her lips, leaving Brian terrified by the thought of hitting a nerve. “I can,” she said, but hesitated before continuing. “I can’t sleep for more than two hours though,” her honesty amazed him. He was amazed by how calmly she managed to talk about it.

Silence fell over the two of them, as her eyes returned to the ocean. She felt more and more nervous by his presence. She watched him pull out his packet of Marlboro, before gaining the strength to ask. “Could I borrow one of you?” she met his eyes, not understanding how she dared to do so. His face was calm, and his thin lips soon curled into a smirk, as he handed her the cigarette. While doing so, he made sure his fingertips brushed against hers like he had done before, causing her skin to shiver by his touch. Her fingers closed around the cigarette, as he lightened it to her, watching her inhale the smoke before exhaling it into the night.

“Does your parents even know you smoke?” he suddenly asked, as she looked at him, taking in the view of his facial features. “No, they are not around so much, and I rarely do it,” she responded, before placing the cigarette between her lips, closing them around it. “What do you mean they are not around so much?” Brian studied her. There was something behind her shyness that he wanted to understand. He wanted to know her and he wanted his desire for her to become visible for her. “My mom is a lawyer, she is constantly travelling to other cities. I don’t know my dad, and as far as I am concerned, I never have,” she told him, not covering the fact that her family made her bitter and sad.

“You have never met your own dad?” Brian raised one of his eyebrows, feeling anger boil inside of him only by the knowledge that she did not have any relationship with the man that brought her to this world. Paige looked at him through her sparkling green eyes, while casually tapping the end of the cigarette. “I met him once, and he told me one thing before he left,” her voice was barely a whisper, as the words were firmly pressed out of her mouth. Brian scooted closer to her, allowing his hand to slowly rest upon her shoulder, as he bent closer to her. His cold breath tickled her exposed skin, as he whispered sincere. “What did he say?” the smell of Brian entered her nostrils, and she felt herself go numb. Ecstasy was building up inside of her, as she turned around, noticing the little space between them. She could almost feel his nose against hers, while his hard fingertips burned under her skin. “He told me I am only alive because he wanted a piece of ass, and he was sorry that my mom never told me,” she said, shrugging as though it meant nothing to her, even though Brian could see that it meant more than she wanted to admit.