Chapter 27: A slumbering wave of anxiety

A sudden buzzing interrupted her moment, as her phone vibrated eagerly from her pocket, tickling her thigh. She drew the silver object from the pocket of her shorts, resting the cold material against her ear. “Paige?” a familiar unloved male voice sank into her, causing her teeth to crush against her lips, threatening to attack her skin.

“What do you want?” she spat out, inhaling a long nervous breath. “Please, don’t be mad,” her father sounded almost soft, like he desperately wanted to sound polite and to invent the part of her that would so easily melt towards his caring voice. “Why did you call?” she sounded harsh and cold. It was almost as though she wanted the coldness of her voice to penetrate like a shrieking sound through his ears to cause him at least some pain. “This is not about me, Paige,” her father went on, using her name in order to make her bitter by the way he pronounced it, as if he had any right to call her by a name he had not witnessed her mother giving her. “This is about your mom,” he sounded stern this time, almost diplomatic as the words slid out of his lips.

Suddenly, Paige felt her stomach drop. She felt an unfriendly shiver stretch upon her side, as her eyes widened in horror and anxiety. “What do you mean?” she asked rapidly, her heart beating rather heavily towards her chest, causing her to believe that her chest was a ticking bomb ready to explode during any minute. “She’s been in a car accident, Paige,” the voice was terrified, and the words caused an unpleasant feeling in her stomach. It was as though the world was spinning around, and she was soon getting dizzy of the moment that carried so many different emotions and thoughts.

“Paige?” her father called, sounding anxiously as he was waiting for her to respond. She felt as though her throat had gone dry, and that every word in her vocabulary would not appeal to what she was feeling inside of her. “I-is she okay?” her voice was trembling, as she tried to swallow, but failed as the lump in her throat nearly choked her. “They don’t know yet, but I suggest you get here immediately,” he sighed, while Paige inhaled a long anxious breath. She heard her father’s voice against her ear, before he hung up, and she heard the line disappear a minute later.

Her eyes darted towards the cold sky, as the scenario that earlier had been so magnificent, now was filled with agony and torment. The waves did not look like a piece of art from where she stood, but a slumbering wave of anxiety. It was as though that sentenced had made her numb by utter sadness, as her eyelids closed slowly. She tried to calm the storm inside of her, while trying to figure out what she was going to do. The thought of Brian drifted through her mind, before she unlocked the screen on her phone, realizing that it was soon five o’clock in the morning, and that he must have gone to bed hours ago.

She nervously started to chew on her nail, while holding her phone pressed towards her ear, calling for a cab that could drive her to the hospital before she would lose her mind completely by this sickening feeling.

Within five minutes after calling for a cab, she started to get tremendously impatient. She breathed heavily, while feeling tears itch towards her emerald eyes. The bags under her eyes started to grow, but the nauseating feeling kept her wide awake, as she saw the lights from the car flash upon her slim terrified body, as a silver car stopped inches from where she stood.

Without even rethinking her movements, she slid into the car, her voice raspy and terror stricken as she told the driver where she was going, before the beach disappeared away from her view, leaving her cold and lonely.

Her eyes closed, while her body was still trembling with the horrible feeling. She had just laid her head towards the window, bending her body towards the right side, when the driver stopped. “We’re here,” he sighed, sounding even more tired than Paige. She opened her eyes, too exhausted to realize what was happening, as she handed the driver the money that was left in her pocket, before opening the door. As her feet hit the ground, she realized how anxious she was, as a set of shivers stormed down her body, leaving her uptight.