Chapter 43: Happy birthday

"Now, I don't want to here anymore complains about Brian," Jenna said, as she kept her eyes on the road in front of her. "I really don't want to go to the mall, Jen," Paige complained, as she stared out of the landscape that was torn away from her eyes. "You need to cheer up," Jenna said rather strictly, as turned into the nearest corner, watching the parking lot draw closer.

Jenna had her hands placed on the wheel, as she parked the car, careful not to collide into the car standing behind her. She soon turned the vehicle off, breathing heavily before turning to Paige. "We're just going to look for a couple of things, okay?" her voice was like velvet, soft and caring. Paige nodded, despite her dislike of how her birthday had turned out. She unbuckled her seat belt, before opening the car door. At last she checked her phone, as she at the same time followed Jenna. She looked briefly through her texts, noticing how not even her own mother had seemed to remember her day.

The two girls entered the mall, as Jenna started to search for her phone in her black leather purse. A smile soon flashed along her lips, as Paige looked at her suspiciously. "Jimmy?" she guessed, but her friend's lips were sealed. "Perhaps," she giggled, turning into a young teenage girl. Paige rolled her eyes, before a smile was stretched upon her lips. "I'm happy for the two of you," she said in all honesty, as Jenna looked at her, almost taken aback. "Baby," Jenna smiled, as she laced her arm around her friend's shoulder, squeezing them gently. "Thank you," she sounded sentimental, almost as though Paige's words had made her emotional.

"Look, I need to call Jimmy, because we're going out tonight, but could you get us some coffee in the meantime?" Jenna asked, as Paige shrugged. "I guess I can," she answered nonchalant, as Jenna smiled brightly to her.

She watched her friend pick up her phone yet again, as she dialled what must have been Jimmy's number. Paige tried to shake off the sickening feeling that something was going on, and nobody had bothered to inform her. She went to a nearby café, while waiting for someone to pick up her order.

"Hey, in what way can I help you?" a man from behind the counter said, while sending her a slick smile. The man had dark brown hair, and his face was filled with boyish and handsome features. From Paige's spot, she could see his biceps that rested against the counter, along with small tattoos inked to his smooth and toned skin. "Hi, can I get two mochas with whipped cream, please?" Paige tried to smile, but noticed how her lack of self-esteem was preventing her from doing so. The man fleshed his perfectly white teeth to her, while nodding. "Of course, my lady, of course," he answered charmingly. As she watched him prepare the drinks, she heard him sing along to the radio that was placed next to some delicate chocolate muffins.

"Paige!" a sudden voice soon interrupted the sound of the low music, as Jenna seized her by the arm and pulled her away from the counter. "Look, we need to go," Jenna sounded utterly stressed, as Paige crossed her arms. "Why?" she frowned, slightly annoyed. "I forgot my credit card at home, come on," Jenna sounded furious. "Can I at least get our drinks?" Paige sighed, obviously annoyed by how the day had turned out. "No, absolutely not!" Jenna protested, before once again seizing her friend by the arm.

Paige could hear the sound of the man behind the counter, as he called for her with their drinks in each hand. "This is so fucking rude, Jen," Paige complained. Jenna seemed to ignore it, as she walked in a fast temper, the sound of her heels scratching the ground as they entered the parking lot. "He was obviously trying to get your attention, anyway," she snapped harshly, as Paige swallowed dryly, a cold shiver running down her spine. "There's still no reason to become rude and cruel," Paige muttered, as she stared out of the window during the whole ride.

An enormous villa that carried a welcoming white colour soon took the view in front of her. "Look, can you please get my credit card? It's in the kitchen on the table," Jenna asked, as Paige sighed furiously. "Yeah," she mumbled, as she unbuckled her belt, the man from the café drifting into her mind.

As Paige walked past the porch, she felt her eyes tear up a little. She had never wished to celebrate her birthday, but lacking the people she loved and having her friend being interrupting and rude, made her regret getting out of the bed.

Paige opened the door, not even thinking about the fact that Jenna had walked from her house without locking it, as she sneaked passed it. The corridor was dark, making it nearly impossible to see anything, as she almost stumbled over her dress. Paige heard the sound of her heels against the floor, as she navigated herself into the kitchen, noticing the subsistence of someone else, as she felt a heavy tension that loaded the room.

"Happy birthday!" someone suddenly shouted, as her natural reaction resulted in tears running down her face in pure frightened. The lights came back, as she noticed a whole group of people standing in front of her, everyone dressed nicely for the evening.

Paige noticed Brian who was standing in the middle, dressed in a white shirt with a classic black tie, with matching trousers and jacket. His shoes must have been from Italy, because they were made of leather and fit his suit perfectly.

"Happy birthday, baby," he walked forward, placing his palms on her hips, while tilting his forehead until it reached hers. "You've not been ignoring me?" she whimpered, tears still running down her cheeks, as he chuckled. "I told you I was going to do something for you. Why would I ignore you?" he asked, placing his thumb under her chin, taking her attention away from anyone but him. "You didn't reply on any of the messages or calls," she whispered bitterly, as his perfume intoxicated her. "It would ruin it. I'm sorry," he said, as he planted a lustful kiss on her forehead. She placed her hands on his arms, driving herself into his embrace, as he chuckled at how tiny she was compared to him. He locked his arms around her, burying his face in her shoulder, while she sucked in the scent of him that for the first time did not consist of tobacco.

"Brian Haner, don't do that to me again," she warned, as she looked at him, before planting her hands on each side of his face. "I promise," he said, before bending down, connecting their lips, as she felt the dreadful thoughts leave her body. "Thank you," she whispered, as she tangled their fingers together.

Paige turned around to look at the whole band, along with other recognized faces. "Happy birthday, darling," her mother stepped forward, as Brian's fingers left her hand, so that she could fully embrace her mother. "I thought you were going back to Seattle?" she looked surprised, as she noticed how the wounds in her face had healed. "I was, but your boyfriend showed me something more valuable than my job, Paige," she answered, before kissing her daughter's cheeks. "You're turning 18, you are becoming a beautiful and gorgeous woman. I need to see that, I need to experience that moment," Paige felt as though she was going to tear up again, as she hugged her mother once more.

"Paige!" next up was Jimmy, who was as nicely dressed as everyone else. "Congrats!" he bellowed, as he used his ridiculously long arms to lift her tiny body and swing her around as though she was a little doll. "You're finally a woman!" Jimmy exclaimed, as Brian chuckled. "Yeah, because she's been a little kid so far, right?" Matt rolled his eyes, as Jimmy let go of her. "Happy birthday, honey," Matt said, as he hugged her tightly against his broad chest. "Thank you," she giggled, obviously affected by Jimmy's adorable behaviour.

"Happy birthday, darling!" Cassandra fired up, as her delightful dimples were expressed. Paige returned the gesture, as she received another enormous hug. "Thank you," she smiled, as Cassie kissed both of her cheeks. "You look so good in that dress, Brian can't even stop staring at you," she whispered, as Paige looked at Brian, who smirked at her. She felt her cheeks blush, just like the first time had given her this kind of attention. She could feel herself growing needy for him, just as Alyssa came over to her. "Happy birthday, Paige," Alyssa said, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. Paige smiled, knowing Alyssa had probably been forced to come, despite her dislike towards Paige. "Happy birthday, P!" Zacky exclaimed, as he pulled her body close to his, hugging her lightly. "Yeah, happy birthday!" Johnny said at last, as he laced his arm around her shoulder, giving her the lighter version of a hug.

"And at last," Jenna walked in, immediately gaining Paige's attention. "Happy birthday, babe," she said, as she pulled her friend into her embrace, hugging her tightly.