Chapter 41: Few seconds to midnight

After saying her farewell, Paige started on the journey back to her house. Brian was swirling inside her mind, his gorgeous face flashing through her memory, making her knees weak and her lips demanding for his. She checked her phone as she walked, noticing how there was no left calls from him, not even messages. Her stomach immediately dropped, like she had been smacked across the face, and that the pain had proliferated her entire body. She bit her lip, trying to fight against the amount of thoughts that were now circling inside her mind, taunting her.

Had Brian lied to her, and went to a bar instead of a band meeting? Had he decided to leave the day before her 18th birthday, in order to continue the reckless life as a rock star? It was a sickening feeling going through her body, crawling under her skin and sending goose bumps along her bare arms. Paige soon unlocked the door to her house, her throat dry and her eyes stung with heavy tears. She could not explain what caused all these thoughts to occur in her mind, but she knew it was dreadful. She knew it was tearing her apart to know that he had not been thinking about her during the time they had been apart.

Paige walked upstairs, before allowing her body to fall against the soft sheets. She soon unlocked the screen on her phone, searching through her contact list before finding his name. Paige inhaled a long breath. It was a breath of insecure, and a breath of nerves that crushed her slightly. Her fingers slowly put the phone against her ear, waiting impatiently for him to answer. She listened to the peep sound for what felt like an eternity. At last she reached his voice mail, growing furious. “Hi, Bri. Are you still busy? I miss you. Love, Paige,” she said, before throwing her phone away, her fingers running through her long hair.

“Fuck,” she panted under her breath, as she looked at the phone that was still lying in full silence. There was no light or sound that reeked from it, as she called again, more impatient than ever. Paige watched as the clock turned midnight, feeling a shiver run down her spine as she realized she had finally turned 18.

She had turned 18 without him being the first to congratulate her. She had become an adult within a few seconds, without her most beloved person to experience those seconds with her.