"...you're right, but we still wanted your consent, out of respect, Mother. It is important to us how you feel."

A silence takes over the three of us as his mother remained unresponsive. And out of my sight, she presses a buzzer and called for a waiter, who came in seconds after.

"I am ready to order," She informs.

"I will have the special menu Sabiru," Closing the menu and handing it to the waiter, it was now my fiancé's turn to order. He let out a cough before stating his order.

Hoping to avoid awkward gazes, my eyes never left the menu, so as my attention. It was only when I felt Jungkook's hand nudge on my thigh, did I realize it was my turn. Embarrassedly, I told the kind waiter that I'd have whatever Jungkook had, not that I was listening or knew.

"Mother?" Jungkook spoke again, hoping to get a less dodgy answer from the lady. And I just want to go home.

"Well," A heavy sigh left her lips, "Both of you are grown ups now, and respectfully, I will expect that you both have your own level of judgment. You have proved yourself of your growth from your last relationship, seeing as..Aera is still..here."

I fought to hold back a gasp. I cannot imagine how angering this is to Jungkook. It's never right to blame someone for another's suicide, not when they were battling several mental illnesses. And to so straightforwardly accuse your own son?

It was to my surprise when I heard no replies from Jungkook's end as his mother continued, "Aera is in more risk of...getting hurt in this marriage. Being married to a Jeon is equivalent to getting married into the company. Their matters is yours," She was talking to me now, I realized.

"Your existence in the company, and newly in the media, will attract hate, more or less. This case more, considering you have no background in terms of...having a face in the media and the overall scene. It is not my place to decide what you two grown ups are to do, but I offer you a reminder, to reconsider, and to take more time into understanding what this marriage will mean to your life."

It was hard coming up with a reply. It was good advice, I'm sure, coming from this woman that had been married to the previous CEO until his very death. She would know better than anyone.

It took me a moment to see that they were both waiting on my reply, which I awkwardly, and nervously, gave an anxious bow with a, "Thank you."

Jungkook's quiet snicker at my foolishness didn't go unheard as my reddened face burned.

/

We're in the car now, heading home following the exhausting dinner. His mother called her private driver, and out of respect, we only left after seeing her step into the car safety.

Jungkook started up the car and drove out the parking space while I slipped off my high heels with a groan. I'd only worn these devilish shoes for the sake of his mother, who only saw it for the few seconds that we were out the restaurant. I'll stick to my boots and Converses, gladly.

The man next to me peered over for a split second as I massaged my ankles, "You alright over there?"

I nodded as I joked, "I guess being elegant just isn't my field of expertise. Please say I don't have to wear this devil of a creation on the wedding day."

It was weird how what I'd spoken made us both stiffen in silence. Maybe just like I did, he'd thought back to what his mother had said to me. About reconsidering the marriage.

After what she'd said, it was truly the first time I even had the notion that this marriage was bigger than just the two of us, that this would concurrently connect me with the media and company, and probably much more things that I've yet to be aware of.

But it was no question that these were costs I'm wholeheartedly willing to take for Jungkook.

I continued with a smile, "I don't have to do I?"

He seems relieved when he answered, "You're the bride, it's up to you to decide."

For a while, the car ride was continued in silence. It wasn't so much that we had nothing to say, but this simply wasn't a dinner to walk–or this case, drive–away from. My mind was still stuck in that private restaurant room, stuck in the words that were exchanged. Jungkook seemed to be in a state no different, eyebrows furrowed and his lips pursed.

"...Jungkook," I spoke hesitantly, not knowing if this was a conversation he wanted to have.

It took a while, but eventually he answered, "...yeah?"

"Why didn't you say anything back there?"

"Where?"

I swallowed, "When your mother said that."

I didn't have to say, he knew what I had meant. There's no way he could just simply brush off his mother's remark about me not committing suicide during our relationship. Just because he hadn't spoken about it, doesn't mean it didn't and doesn't still bother him.
Hell, it nearly tore my heart apart just by simply imagining how hurtful it would be for Jungkook to hear.

"Because that wasn't what it was about. The dinner." He managed to say with a heavy exhale.

"Jungkook..." I never want to see him pass an opportunity to stand up for himself, but this was really melting my heart, how he would be willing and even have the capacity in him to yield like that.

"I didn't want that to distract what was more important, our marriage." I look to Jungkook, his eyes looked hard towards the road, not a hint of insincerity. His voice was deeper than the usual light tone. He was serious.

"I could easily fight with her about it anytime, anyway." The side of his eyes crinkle just the slightest. I tried, but then failed to keep myself from caressing his cheek. Smiling into my hand, his leaves the steering wheel and reaches to rest on my thigh. I've noticed that he likes touching me, anywhere, at all times. Sometimes it's my hand, sometimes it's my waist, and most frequently when we're sitting, my thigh. As if to keep us connected, his hand is always there to hold me.

"Are you still hungry?" I asked him, changing the subject. Jungkook didn't touch his food much.

"Actually, yes. I'm still damn hungry. Eating in front of my mother was the scariest shit I've ever experienced."
I'll agree to that. Obviously, it wasn't the daughter-in-law's place to complain, especially this early on, so I merely chuckled along.

"I'll cook you something warm when we get home, you've had a long day. You deserve some rest." I barely finish the last sentence when Jungkook quickly retorted with a different opinion.

"Both of us have had a long day, let's stop somewhere outside. I'm not going to let you cook after nearly two hours of my mother burning you alive." Goddamn, this is the man I'm marrying.

"Let's go to Chick-fil-A." I suggested, simply as a joke. Jungkook obviously wouldn't want to. No man this rich or important would ever consider-

He makes a sudden turn, so as to change the route, my body sways to the side with the car, "Chick-fil-A it is."

He was darn serious about that too, I realize as I look to him with my eyes glistening.

Sweet baby jesus, I'll marry him right now.

A/N:
(edited)
sweet mother of the devil, that was a lot of typos! i'm so sorry if any of you luvs had to go through that. nearly had a stroke trying to read what i wrote...guilty as charged.