Chapter 18

Chester's POV

So today was my last day at the hospital, and I was actually quite nervous. Well for starters I'm living with Mike, whom I have a huge crush on, and second I'm also pretty scared the man will be out there waiting for me. He'll probably take  me again, use me again. Then I'll be less like me, I'll be a different person. Once I'm out anything can happen, and I don't think I was ready for this. Everyone thinks I am, but me. I know once I get out there it will be full of judgement, people will laugh and whisper about me. I don't wanna go back, I mean sometimes I hate it here, but I feel safe here most times. And actually now that I think about why was Mike so excited to take me in? As soon as he heard Talinda needed a place to live he offered up his place right away. I don't understand, does he like me or something? No that can't be possible, I mean look at me, I'm all gross and pale, who would want that? You'd have to be out of your mind if you want this. So what was Mikes motive? I don't think he wants to hurt me, I mean he's never hurt me here. I just didn't get it.

What if when Talinda isn't around he hurts you huh? He's probably gonna makes you "pay" for living with him, if you catch me drift. The voice in my head told me.

"Mikes never hurt me though." I say to myself.

Well here no, but once you're at his house you owe him. Even if he's not gonna use you , you still owe him for taking you in, embarrassing him during court, and being just an all out disgrace. Mike is foolish if he's taking you in to be a good person, and you're foolish to think that him likely you is a possibility. Just look at yourself disgusting.

"Shut up you don't know what you're talking about."

Oh yes I sure do. That's what the man always told you, and the man was never wrong. You're so foolish to think even for a second anyone is ever going to love you. Your own family doesn't love you, if they did they might visit you, but where are there? Oh that's right not here!

"Just stop. Stop it!" I shout.

No you need to stop hiding from the truth Chester. Go look at yourself in the mirror.

"I said shut up!"   I shout really loud, it felt like that was the loudest I've been since I got here.

Make me you big baby. I'd like to see you fight, rather then take it like some kind of pussy.

I let out a scream of frustration, and punch the mirror in my room. The glass makes a nice shattering noise, but knuckle gets covered in different sizes of glass, from big pieces to little shards.

I lean against the wall, look at my now bloody hand, and begin to cry. That man took every drop of me, everything I had, and he didn't stop till he got every last drop.

After a few more minutes, Brad and Talinda  run in. I didn't acknowledge any of them. I kinda wish they'd just leave, and give up on me already.

"Chester, what happened? What's wrong?" Talinda asks me.

I just sit there sniffling and staring at my hand.

"Chester?"

"I punched a mirror, it's no big deal." I answer her, kinda harshly.

"No big deal? Your hand is covered in glass and bleeding!" Brad said.

"Yeah come on we're taking you to Craig he's gonna stitch up your hand." Talinda said helping me up.

I groan, but have to go along with them to see Craig. If I didn't who knows what would happen.  I wonder why Mike wasn't there, he was probably off dealing with another patient or something.

Or maybe he's mad, and plotting to hurt you.

"Shut up." I mutter to myself. The two of them look at me, and I nervously smile.

Talinda, Brad and I get to Craig, who fixes up my hand, which felt like an eternity. But I got to go back to my room after. Why wonder why I wasn't questioned to death about why I punched a mirror? Maybe Talinda was gonna wait till later to talk to me, when we were at Mikes. I wonder what his place is like. I hope it's not like the mans house, filled with gross bugs everywhere, and concerning colored water coming out of the faucets. I hope he doesn't force me to sleep on a dirty old mattress with no blanket or a pillow, in the dark. I hope he doesn't make fun of me for being afraid of the dark. I know it's stupid I'm 17 and I'm afraid of the dark, but lots of things would happen in the dark, or the light. I hope he doesn't get mad at me for waking up from a bad dream. God I felt like I was gonna throw up. It felt like my stomach was in so many knots, and I couldn't figure out how to do them. Just having to remember and live with what that man had done to me it was terrible, sometimes it was hard to blink without seeing him.

———-

Well it was now the moment I've been dreading all day it's time to leave with Mike and Talinda. I tried to tell myself everything will be okay, but that just felt like a huge joke to me. So much panic was going though my head, it was unbelievable.

We get outside, and as soon as I see all the cars that's when I get extremely nervous. Something that I don't wanna talk about happened in a car. I think Mike and Talinda could see I was nervous.

"You alright Chester?" Mike asks.

"Can't do it." Is all I say.

"Can't do what Chester?" Talinda asks.

"I can't go in there."

"In the car?"

I nod nervously.

"Hey bud... hey it's okay bud. I promise I'm a safe driver, and the drive to my house is just about a five minute drive."

I still felt terrified, but something told me I needed to get in this car. Maybe it was the feeling I get before a really bad storm happens, or I felt like Mike would yell at me. Mike didn't seem mad, but you never know he might get mad at home so that he doesn't cause a scene in the parking lot.

I get into Mikes car, and slowly sink into the passenger side. Praying to every God I could think of that Mike wasn't gonna try anything. I don't know why I was so scared of Mike all of a sudden. What if he changes as soon as we get to his house? Or what if he's really nice, and my crush on him continues to grow, but gets crushed by the fact that I can't have him.

Mike climbs into the drivers seat, and he looks over at me and gives me a reassuring smile.

"So are you feeling okay? Is there a reason you're so nervous?" He asks starting up the car.

"N-no sir, I mean no Mike. I'm fine."

"Are you sure, cause if you got something to say I'm all ears."

"I'm fine really Mike."

I didn't wanna bother Mike with everything, who wants to hear about another persons problem, especially mine. It was all stupid anyway, plus what if he gets mad that I think he might hurt me. And besides it's like the man always said, don't tell and nothing will happen, but do tell and something will happen. I didn't want anything to happen, so it was best to just keep my trap shut.