Chapter 39:)

"The picture burning in my brain,

Kissing in the rain"

--- English Love Affair

BAILEY POV

I closed my eyes, taking in the feeling of my arms around Luke. We stood there like that for, I don't even know how long. No one spoke as we enjoyed the moment.

"When do you leave?!" I asked, pulling away slowly, gently running my fingers through his slightly damp hair.

"January 12th." He sighed, his eyes fluttering closed at my touch.

His words made my insides collapse, I could feel my emotions crumbling down to my knees.

"God, that's soon." I sighed as I picked my towel up off the floor and wrapped it around my shoulders.

"18 days." Luke chuckled, shaking his head in an effort to lighten the mood.

I opened my mouth to say something when a voice shouted up to us from below.

"Luke, Bailey, it's lunch time!!" It was Liz, I closed my mouth. Ignoring Luke's nod for me to continue.

"I'll tell you later." I waved his questioning look away as I followed him out of the door and down the rope ladder I'd come.

As we approached the house my eyes lay upon the table full of food. I felt my eyes light up at the sight of turkey, BBQ-ed prawns and ham stretching on forever. The colour scheme of the bonbons and place-mats where in the christmas spirit and little flecks of gold christmas tree sparkles dotted the table. Everything looked amazing.

"Where would you like me to sit Liz?" I asked politely as I took the tray of warm roast potatoes out of her hands, setting them on the table beside the cranberry sauce.

"There's a spot over there to the right of Luke, Bailey." She smiled before disappearing through the glass double doors and into the kitchen once again.

I followed her instructions and slid into the seat on Luke's right hand side. Mum and Dad where seated opposite, Luke's grandma was on his left, Liz and Andrew sat next to my parents and Luke's brothers and their families filled in the spare spaces.

"Merry Christmas everyone and enjoy!!" Liz announced, raising her glass of red wine in the air. Her cheeks where flushed from the heat but her eyes remained happy and bright.

With that everybody tucked in, I helped myself to a few cold turkey slices, potatoes and ham. The general conversation didn't hold my interest so I focused the majority of my attention on my food. That was until Luke's grandma decided to speak up.

"Lucas dear, who is this young lady beside you?" She gestured her fork in my direction, her blue eyes eld a questioning look from behind her glasses.

"This is Bailey, my girlfriend gran." Luke smiled as he placed a prawn into his mouth. Everyone froze and all conversation stopped, making me feel very confused.

"Wait, are you guys dating?" Luke's dad asked a little taken a back.

"Yes...." I replied a little confused.

"Didn't you work it out..." Luke questioned respectfully.

"I thought you where just very close friends....." Andrew chuckled shaking his balding head.

Liz jumped in and saved the day,

"I think you're the only one Andrew, who didn't catch on..." She laughed squeezing her husbands shoulder.

Nods of agreement where shared around the table. Soon, the attention left Luke and myself and we where allowed to relax and enjoy our christmas meal.