Day Nine - World Population 5.8 Hundred Thousand

Start from the beginning

"Connor?" I asked tentatively.

Connor's back straightened at the sound of my voice but he didn't turn around.  I didn't like this.  I would give anything to see that smug smirk on his face right now but he was refusing to show me more than the back of his head.

Making my way around the couch, I knelt on the floor in front of him and tried to look in to his eyes but he still didn't look up.

"What's wrong?"  I ask, trying to keep the panic out of my voice which was now becoming nearly impossible.  He still didn't look up or make a sound.

"Please, you're scaring me."  I place my hands on his wrists and guide his fingers out of his hair and away from his face.  Thankfully he didn't fight me but I wish I had.  The tear soaked, desolate look on his face nearly destroyed me in an instant.

I pulled my hands away from his as if he had burned me and dropped back onto my haunches.  Air escaping me in a rush.

"Where's Jay and Blake?"  I ask through gritted teeth.  Too scared of the answer but needing it anyway.

He still didn't speak but pointed to the muted television instead.

The second I saw the headline flashing across the screen I felt sick.  I knew what had happened in an instant and the world spun at the prospect of it all.

I grabbed the remote that Connor was no holding out to me and turned the volume up high.  Ensuring that I didn't miss a single world.

The country is rejoicing this afternoon as the scientists at the ARC institute based in Alabama have made a huge break through this morning regarding a cure for the infected.  They have refused to go into detail on how the cure was obtained as only yesterday they were appealing to the public for help.  But I'm sure I speak for the whole world when I say, we don't care where the cure came from as long as it works.  The ARC have said, further testing is still needed but they envision that they will be able to begin human testing by the end of the week.  For the first time in over a week.  The world can breath a little easier.

"Where's Blake?!"  I shouted at Connor.  Already knowing the answer but needing to hear it anyway.  Connor looked crestfallen as he tried to get the words out but failed.

"What did he do?!"  I pushed.

"He-he-he." Connor stuttered before a fresh cascade of tears fell down his face.  My heart broke for him.  At seeing his pain.  I rose up from the floor and climbed into his lap, straddling his hips.  In an instant, his arms banded around me and his head buried into my chest as he released loud and pain filled sobs.

"He's g-gone."  Connor muffled into my chest a few minutes later.  

"Where'd he go?"  My patience now wearing thin.

Connor lifted his head from me and for the first time since I arrived, looked me right in the eye.

His eyes were red rimmed from crying and bags the size of suitcases hung from them.  He looked as though he hadn't slept in days.

"It's ok-"  I soothed, stroking his face.  "Just start from the beginning." 

"When you left yesterday, Blake tried to talk us into stopping you from whatever you were planning.  But we convinced him that one way or another you will find a way and it would be better if we helped you rather than hold you back."  Guilt bubbled deep within me knowing that this was all my fault.  "We threw about ideas on what to do, on how to get a cure to the ARC but we were coming up empty.  That's when Blake suggested that we take the night to think on it and we will re-group in the morning and see what we came up with.  He sent Jay up to check on you on the premise that he was worried you would sneak off and do something stupid."