Day Two - Dawn - World Population 1.7 Billion

BLAKE SANDERS

This just in.  Reports are coming in from all over the country that victims of the recent terrorist attacks are returning from the dead.  The military have issued a warning that the returned victims are extremely hostile and dangerous and should not be approached by members of the public under any circumstances. They have said that, all reported cases so far are showing substantial reduced mental faculties and further increasingly worrying side effects such as aggression, agitation, no control over their actions, cannibalism, insatiable hunger, mania and a complete disregard for their own safety and of the safety of the people around them.  They have urged that any known cases should be reported immediately to the number below where a specialist team are on standby to take your calls twenty four hours a day.  We must stress, do not approach anyone showing these symptoms and call the below hotline number immediately.  More on this after we go live to New York where...

I blocked out the news anchors voice as my mind ran at a thousand miles per hour.  Just as it had done ever since yesterday afternoon in the girls apartment.  But now it was driven more in fear than in confusion.

At first, I was ecstatic to see her alive and well on that sofa laughing and joking with Connor.  Well, he was laughing and joking, she was throwing sharp elbows and murderous glares that even had me impressed.  She was fiery with a spine made of steel that only came from a complicated past.  I mean, I should know.  I could see myself in her mesmerizing blue eyes and I hated it.  I hated it because I wanted her but I couldn't have her.  With our pasts, our insecurities and our defensive personalities, we would destroy each other and I knew all of this without even knowing her name.

I was fine knowing that I could never have her because I had made the decision.  I was in control and I liked being in control.  I needed to be in control.  But when I found out that she was dead, that decision was taken right out of my hands.  After all, anything between us would be necrophilia for fucks sake!  And now, the fact that Mother Nature said that I couldn't have her made me crave her in a way that I have never craved anyone before. 

I will not be told what I can and can't have.  Like I said, I have to be in control and now she was forbidden fruit and my mouth was watering for a taste and that's why I left.

This girl was dangerous, not just to me and my friendships but now according to the media, the rest of the world.  She didn't seem like she was unstable, that she had lost her mental faculties.  Other than the lack of a heartbeat, she didn't have any of the symptoms that were mentioned.  And cannibalism, really?  It wouldn't surprise me if she was a vegan!

I took in the number and the eyed my phone on the coffee table in front of me.  Battling with the choice to call or not.  To report her to the authorities.  It would be so simple to pick up the phone and make the call.  She would be out of my life and it would have been my choice.  I'd have the control.

But then I got thinking about what would it mean for her.  I know she isn't showing any of the symptoms but she did return from the dead.  She was an anomalyand I had a feeling that the government would be very interested in her.

They would rip her apart for tests, all in the name of science.  In the name of humanity.  And that was not ok with me.  The thought of someone hurting her twisted my stomach into one tight knot.

But would she hurt my friends?  I wasn't going to find out hiding in my apartment. 

I picked up my phone checking the time.  Five thirty AM.  Jay and Conner must still be at her place.  They would have come right over the second they left her place to call me out on being a little bitch and running.  To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't been in touch at all to cuss me out over my treatment of the girl.  I checked my messages just in case I had missed one but there was nothing.  Unease settled in stomach as images of my friends dismembered bodies ran through my head.  Her place was directly above mine and when I heard a sudden thud my mind was made up.  Fuck the unsociable hour it's better to be safe than sorry.