Day Four - World Population Unknown

AGNES LEFAY

With a heavy soul, I stood exhausted in front of Connor's bathroom mirror taking in my blood soaked appearance.  I felt sick and sickeningly hungry at the sight of the crimson smudges smeared across my face and hands.  The temptation was seriously strong just to lick my fingers as if it was Ed's homemade ragu but I resisted.  It was Blake on my hands.

I'd worked all night on Blake trying to get the bleeding to stop and get him stable.  The pathogen seems to slow the healing process.  I would apply pressure until the bleeding stopped but the second I disturbed the wound to clean or try and stitch it together, it would bleed just as profusely has it had when it had happened.  The only thing we could do was keep pressure for hours until it had clotted enough to let me work on it.  We tried switching out every thirty minutes so I could get a break but every time we switched places, the change in pressure disturbed the wound and we had to start all over again.  So in the end, I was the one to hold Blake together for eight fucking hours.

Thankfully we had moved him to the bed.  It would have sucked worse than Blake's attitude if I'd had to spend the eight hours on the hard unforgiving floor.

I'd only ever stitched up animals and dead ones at that.  So once Blake's wound was stable enough, it took all my skill and concentration to fix him after being up all day and night on an empty stomach, it was not an easy feat.  But eventually the bleeding stopped and the wound closed and now here I was swaying where I stood while the water of my shower heated up.  I longed for a bath but with the amount of blood I was wearing, I would have been bathing in a massacre.  I just prayed that my legs could hold me up long enough to get clean and then carry me to bed.  I'll worry about eating tomorrow.

Testing the water with my fingers and happy with the temperature, I begin to peel off my clothing.  Peeling is the only way to get the sodden material from my skin.  I tossed them to the tiled floor in the corner of the bathroom before climbing over the side of the tub and stepping my body under the stream of the nearly scalding shower.

Weary to the core, the exhaustion set into my bones with the heat of the water.  The swaying increased and my eyes tried to close.  My arms ached something fierce so I had no idea how I was going to wash my hair.  I just kept my head down and watched the red swirls disappear down the drain as the water beat against my scalp.  Silent tears ran down my face getting lost in the torrent.  For anyone else the work I had done on his neck would be enough for them to make a full recovery but that wasn't in Blake's future.  He didn't have one.

The act of putting him back together was probably a wasted effort, but there was always hope and I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I didn't do everything possible within my power to help him.

I swayed again but this time with grief as well as the exhaustion.  Strong arms grabbed on to my hips steadying me before wrapping around my stomach and pulling me against a hot, warm chest.  I gladly went, my body moulding easily against his.  The strength of his arms took my weight to give my legs a much needed rest.

Turning in his arms I looked up into sad emerald green eyes and wrapping my arms around Jay's waist, I hugged him back.  My tears coming harder.

Jay placed a tender kiss on my forehead before his strong hands began kneading shampoo and conditioner into my scalp, washing my hair.

Once my hair was rinsed, he then moved on to wash the rest of my body.  There was nothing sexual in the act it was purely him taking care of me.  My heart swelled to bursting, I'd never had anyone care for me in such a way.

The silent shower came to an end.  I was glad he never said a word, it allowed me to shut my brain off for five minutes, seeing as it had been running at full speed all night long.  Just holding Blake's neck, staring down on him allowed me a lot of time to obsess over what was probably next to come.  I had no idea how the transition took place or how long he had until it began, the news had only told us that the infection spreads through body fluid and the fact that Mrs Penbrook had torn right through the skin and in to the muscle, it was pretty much guaranteed that Blake was infected.  Now we just had to wait.