Day Three - World Population 4.9 Million

BLAKE SANDERS

I ran.

Like the cowardice piece of shit that I am. I ran.

My head was a fucking mess!  What the hell happened back there?!

I ran cross the hallway and down the stairwell, taking three at a time in my stride.  I couldn't breathe.  Not because of the exertion of my impressive five hundred metre dash that even Usain Bolt would have be proud of.  But because of Agnes.  Well, not exactly Agnes.  It was what had just happened between us.

As I hit the next floor down, I burst out of the stairwell and slammed into my door with a thud.  Forgetting that I had locked it when I'd left yesterday.  It's not something I regularly did, due to the building being secure and my best friends and a little old lady being my only neighbours.  But with all that was happening with the attack, I flipped the catch on my way as I rushed out of my apartment yesterday.  Before I'd tackled Agnes to the ground.  My dick twitched at the memory of her beneath me.  Damn traitorous body, I was disgusted with myself.  She's fucking dead and I was getting turned on over topping her!  Everyone dies- 

That fucking ominous voice that had become the inner narration of my life was back again.  Reminding me of all and of who I had lost.

I could feel the acid of a panic attack work its was up my throat.  My chest was tight.  My breathing fast but laboured. Blackness edging around my vision as my head spun.

A cold sweat poured down my back, soaking my t-shirt making it stick to my skin.  The feel of it constricting and claustrophobic.  Fuck, it had me.  I hadn't had an anxiety attack for nearly a year and three days of this girl being in my life.  No, scratch that.  She wasn't even a part on my life so I'll re-phrase.  Three days after meeting this girl, I was back to square fucking one!

I needed to call my doctor, get my prescription re-filled for the first time in six months but the phone lines had been switched to emergency calls only.  In other words, just activating the dial tone on my cell would take me directly to the Military's crisis hotline.  It had been three days, surely they could re-connect the phone service.

Leaning my forehead against the cool mahogany of my door, the corner of the metal number three digging in to the skin above my brow.  The pain was good.  It helped me concentrate on something other than my breathing.  I pushed harder.

The harder I pushed, the more in control I felt.  I was in charge.  A warm trickle of blood ran down my nose and across my lips.  The metallic taste grounding me further.  Just proving the type of person I was.  She may be dead, but I was the monster.

The stair well door burst open behind me putting me back on edge.  My breathing sped and the darkness in my eyes coming back.  The panic back in control once again.

I turned as Jay started shouting at me.  I couldn't tell what he was saying, everything sounded just so far a way.  The quiet felt good.  The quite felt peaceful,  The quiet felt.  Final.

And I was OK with that.

"Oh, shit!  Look at his face!" one of them exclaimed.  I wasn't sure who and to be honest, I didn't give a fuck.

"It's happening again.  Conner go get the emergency meds we keep stashed.  Blake stay with me man, you'll be alright.  And get him a smoke!" He shouted through my now open door "He's going to need it to help calm him before the meds kick in!"

I fell to my knees.  My throat almost completely closed now, felt like a Boa Constrictor was wrapping itself around it and my chest, squeezing with all it's might.