Chapter Thirteen

Working in the medical tent helped to take Sakura's mind off her dreams. Syaoran had told her he would be away for most of the day and probably would be late that night. She smiled and asked him to stay safe.

Several more days like that passed. During that time, neither of them spoke about what had happened in the black tent with the prisoners, and they went about their daily lives as per usual.

Soon days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. They were back at the crystal castle for another meeting, discussing various types of intel they had all gathered.
"It seems that after our attacks on those villages, they've finally started to make more of a move." The oldest king spoke.
"Yes. What they're trying to accomplish is another matter. What do you know, Syaoran?"
Syaoran folded his hands in his lap. "I haven't gathered a lot of data on their plans, but I'm well aware of how things are on the inside." He spoke, "Their king is furious about losing something or someone important to their plans. Most of their ranks are in disarray trying to get this back."
"That's interesting. Perhaps we can use the instability to our advantage."
Syaoran shrugged. "Possibly. I'm not sure, but there was a spy we caught a while back. The enemy could know a lot more about us than we realised." He said. "He's dead now, however."
"How did you let an enemy spy slip into your camp?"
"This particular spy was someone I had known since I was in my early teens." Syaoran replied, "I hate to admit it, but he had me fooled for quite a while."
"That's unfortunate. Be more careful in the future."
"Yes, sir."
"I believe we should continue to gather more information before making a move."
Syaoran nodded and the other kings agreed half-heartedly.

They returned to camp late that night after eating dinner with the other kings and their consorts.
"Why didn't you mention anything about them wanting me?" Sakura asked as they entered their tent.
"Because I still don't have enough information for it to be of any use." He said, moving to remove his weapons.
"I see." She murmured.
"I'll mention it at the next meeting if I have a good amount of information."

Sakura sat down on the bed and relaxed. She was still troubled by constant thoughts of wondering what she was, but she saw no point in thinking about it too much.
"The market is tomorrow," he said, "Are you interested in going?"
She looked up curiously, "Market?"
He smiled as he removed his belt. "Once a year this city has a large market day. People from all over the country come to sell and to buy. There's often performances and other little things mixed in to keep children entertained." He explained.
"It's only once a year?" she asked.
"Yeah. Would you like to go?"
She fidgeted, "Will you be going?" she asked.
"I will if you want me to." He replied.
She smiled, "We don't really get to do much together...I'd like it if we could spend some more time together."
He sat down beside her and wrapped his arms around her waist. "But we're together now."
"I know," she smiled, "And I do enjoy these moments."
Syaoran smiled, "Alright, we'll go together."
"Thank you." Sakura replied.
Syaoran leant in and kissed her lightly, "Anything for you."
She slid her hands beneath his shirt and he kissed her again before pushing her back into the sheets.

...

The marketplace reminded Sakura a lot of a fair or a festival. There were lots of families and children walking around, looking at goods. Some children carried fairy floss and cheap masks.
Flutes and string instruments sounded throughout the city. Some danced to the music while others watched with interest.

As if afraid of being lost in the crowd, Sakura held Syaoran's hand tightly as they moved slowly through the crowds.
They stopped to watch a performance with a couple of fire dancers. Sakura watched with interest, never having seen such a beautiful performance with magic. She wondered how anyone could be so disgusted with magic.