Chapter Nine

Sakura's condition drastically worsened the next day, which to her was strange as she had watched the onset of the illness in others and it never presented itself in the way it was now. The cotton dress she wore did little to keep her warm and the furs helped only a little. It was hard to move, and everything ached.
Syaoran spent most of his day beside her, worrying over her condition. She hardly ate and when she did, she could hardly stomach it.
"Why would your body react this way?" he asked her, wondering if she might know.
"I don't really know. I'm sorry." She whispered. "For as long as I can remember, whenever I fall ill I usually get the worst form of the illness. The onset is usually pretty fast too."
"Do you think this could be to do with your magic?" he wondered.
"I don't think so." Sakura murmured, "Honestly I don't know much about my magic at all."
He sighed and dampened a cloth, ringing out the water and then wiped her face with it. "Well, all you can do is rest for now."
"I'm sorry," she apologised hoarsely. "I don't want to keep you awake,"
"Just let someone take care of you for once." Syaoran murmured.
She watched him for a long moment before finally closing her eyes as sleep tugged at her, pulling her under.

A dream woke her sometime the next day. She frowned, trying to remember what it was, but couldn't grasp it.
"Are you alright?" Tomoyo asked kindly.
She groaned, "Where's Syaoran?" she managed to ask.
"He had something urgent to tend to. He said he'll try and be back as soon as he can, but until then to get some rest." Tomoyo explained, "Is there anything I can get you?"
Sakura swallowed. Her head throbbed. "I need water-I think I'm dehydrated."
Tomoyo stood and moved to get Sakura a cup of cool water. She helped the young woman drink it, and then set the cup to the side when Sakura was finished.
"I've nearly finished the dress you asked for. It should be ready in a few days." Tomoyo added.
"Thank you..."
"It's my pleasure. What sorts of things do you like to wear in the warmer months?" she then asked.
Sakura blinked. "When I was younger, I usually wore skirts and dresses." She answered.
"I guess I'll just make the usual, then." Tomoyo smiled, "I'm sure there are some designs that will flatter you more than most. I'll have to have a look."
"Don't you find it stressful?" Sakura asked.
"No, I love what I do. It's worth it." Tomoyo replied, "Can I get you something to eat? You must be hungry."
Sakura weakly shook her head from side to side, "I can't keep anything down."
Tomoyo looked worried.
"I'm feeling a bit tired...do you mind if I rest...?"
"Whatever you need." She said softly.
Sakura closed her eyes again, falling back to sleep within moments.

She re-awoke sometime in the evening, not long before sunset. She was sure she had woken at other points in the day as well, but she couldn't remember them clearly.
Syaoran was talking quietly with someone at the entrance. She strained her ears to hear what it was they were saying, but still had trouble making out the words.
"Are you sure you don't know why she's so ill?" Syaoran asked irritably.
"I assure you, I don't." Came Eriol's reply.
Their voices became low again. She couldn't make out the rest of the conversation.
"What about the plants-anything?"
"No, nothing that we can see."
"Eriol, she's dying!"

Sakura frowned. Something was tugging at the edge of her mind again. A plant...one of them didn't seem right from memory.
She looked over as Syaoran entered the tent with a frustrated sigh. Pain racked her body and she whimpered.
"Sakura?"
She felt his hand against her cheek and she managed to open her eyes. He looked worried, fearful even, and she wasn't entirely sure why.
"Do you need something for the pain?" he asked.
She shook her head weakly. "The river..." she whispered.
He sat down, "What about the river?" he asked with a frown.
"I need...to go there..."
"You're too ill."
"It's important...please, I need to..."
She knew he would probably say no, to insist on her staying in bed to rest, but she didn't think she'd survive through the night.
"Please..." she begged.
Syaoran sighed heavily. "You'll need to guide me to where you want to go."
She nodded.