She was always wary of him, critical of the mistakes that he knew he was making, but it made no difference. He still practised the habits she despised and he still didn't understand why she had come to care so much about him.

"Yeah, it won't happen again," he made the promise automatically, as automatic as it was for him to break it sooner or later. "I'm doing everything to keep Leah happy, Rey. I hate it when she sees me that way."

A set of footsteps drew their attention to the person drifting down the hall from door to door. The tall, gangly man had a vile smile twisting the corners of his mouth, his dark eyes moving between Gunner and Audrey. "How're my two favorite tenants doing this morning?"

Gunner took a long drag and cleared his throat. "What do you want, Michael?"

"Oh, I can't stop by to say good morning anymore? You do remember you're my tenant, right? You're here because I let you be here. And if it weren't for that little girlfriend of yours," he took a daring step forward and grinned from ear to ear, "you'd be on the motherfucking streets."

Gunner watched Michael's eyes linger on Audrey for a moment too long. There was something in the way the man looked at her, a creepy intensity that made his blood boil. He could feel his fists clenching at his sides as Michael's gaze roamed over Audrey's figure, lingering on her curves with an unsettling hunger. The hairs on the back of Gunner's neck stood on end, and he could feel his anger simmering just below the surface.

He could see the discomfort in his girlfriend's demeanour, the way she shifted nervously in the doorway.

"Get fucking lost and stop looking at her like that."

A deep scowl etched itself into Gunner's features as he took a step forward, positioning himself between Audrey and Michael, a silent warning in his stance. He didn't trust Michael, not one bit, and he wouldn't let him get anywhere near Audrey.

"I'm serious, Michael. Go. She doesn't want you around and neither do I."

"Gunner, it's fine. Just ignore him." Audrey reached out and gently touched his arm, feeling the tension that had built up in his muscles. "Let's just go inside."

She was too forgiving, too kind to a man like Michael. And it irked Gunner. "I'm not gonna ignore him. He's obviously tryna to make a move on you."

His expression was the very embodiment of sinister delight, sending shivers down Audrey's spine and causing her to instinctively step back in revulsion. "Don't be so hostile to me. I'm just trying to be friendly."

"Stop trying," he remarked. "You think I don't know that you come looking for her when I'm not home? If you know what's good for you, you'll stop fucking harassing her every goddamn chance you get."

Michael, for his part, seemed taken aback by Gunner's sudden accusation, but his smug grin quickly returned to his face. "You don't know what you're talking about, man. I just check on her from time to time 'cause you're never home. You're a deadbeat, Shaw. You got a girl and a kid and they're always alone. 'Course I gotta help. I'm doing what you should be doing." His eyes glinted with a sickening glee. "Aren't I, doll?"

"Stop it, Michael," Audrey's quivering voice sliced through the thick air. "Leave Gunner alone. You don't know anything about him. Stay out our business."

For a moment it was probable that Gunner might have lunged at Michael right then and there. But instead he stood his ground, his voice cold and controlled; he was unwilling to fall for Michael's sick mind games. "I'm warning you. Stay away from my girlfriend and my daughter, or you'll fucking regret it."

"Alrighty, you two. Have a great day." He returned Gunner's challenging glare. "And see you around, Audrey."

He disappeared down the next bend and the hall fell silent again.