Chapter 10: Quests

"You guys were amazing!" Hikaru said as she, Sentoki, and Kimyona were walking on the path.

"Thanks, but it wasn't that big of a deal. It's just something we have to do to get stronger," Sentoki said, shrugging off his victory.

"But still, that strategy with Skull Bash was superb. And Kimyona, seeing Machop evolve into Machoke was such a sight," Hikaru said, proud that she was traveling with such strong trainers.

"How come you didn't battle, Hikaru? I mean, didn't Professor Oak give you a badge case too? I saw a red one when you gave me mine," Kimyona asked.

"He did, but I'm not much of a battler," Hikaru said, rubbing the back of her neck.

"Yeah, but your Pichu seems pretty strong," Kimyona said, pointing at Pichu who was resting on Hikaru's shoulder.

"Your Charmander has potential too," Sentoki added.

"Thanks but I'm more of a storyteller. Hey, we've been walking for awhile. Do you guys wanna take a break?" Hikaru said. She was trying to get off the subject of battling but she really was tired.

"Yeah, I guess we can take a break," Sentoki said, picking out a spot in the grass on the outskirts of the body of water that you must cross to get to Cerulean City.

"I'll go make us something to eat," Kimyona said while releasing her Pokemon from from their Pokeballs. "In the meantime, our Pokemon should meet each other." From the Pokeballs, along with Bulbasaur, were Machoke, Seel, Weedle, Growlithe, and Pidgey.

"That's a good idea," Hikaru said, taking out her Vulpix, Riolu, Absol, and Zorua who went over to Charmander and Pichu.

Sentoki also took out his Pokemon, who were, along with Squirtle, Tepig, Dratini, Treecko, Elekid, and Eevee.

"Listen up everybody, we're going to take a break for now so go mingle and have fun, alright?" Sentoki informed the Pokemon. The Pokemon were shy at first, staying with the ones they already know. The exceptions were Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Pichu, who were already well acquainted. After brief encouragement from them, the others got along well and became friends by the time Kimyona was finished making their meal.

"On the menu for us is curry, miso soup, and mango juice. The Pokemon of course get Pokemon Food," Kimyona announced. Everyone sat on the blanket as she sat up and the picnic began.

"Hey Kimyona, what's your reason for traveling?" Hikaru asked as they were eating. Kimyona told Hikaru about her father and how she wants to get stronger.

'She's like Sentoki,' Hikaru thought while sipping her juice, 'But a girl.'

"So what did Professor Oak tell you when you were at his lab?" Sentoki asked Hikaru after they finished eating. Hikaru began to tell them what happened when she and Blue visited the Professor.

"So you're basically here to baby-sit me?" Sentoki said frowning, feeling somewhat betrayed.

"More like a companion. I'm here mostly for myself," Hikaru said, noticing his reaction.

"Hikaru!" Kimyona said a little too loudly.

"Yes!" said a startled Hikaru.

"S-so um, what's your reason for traveling?" Kimyona said, trying ease the tension. With that, Hikaru told them all about her reason for her adventure. She left out some important bits like her parents being Pokedex Holders and that she was from the future. She decided she'll keep it a secret for now.

"Let me get this straight. Hikaru, you're here to watch over me under Professor Oak's 'orders.' So are you basically my bodyguard?" Sentoki asked.

"Team Rocket is after you. You know that," Hikaru started.