Chapter 2: Hikaru

'Just a little bit further,' thought Hikaru as she was getting Oran Berries from the top of the tree. "Mama and Papa's Pokemon will be very happy when they see all these Oran Berries for them. After all, they said they were going to go on a very long journey today." Hikaru had just gotten the last of the Oran Berries when she slipped coming down, hitting her head as she landed on the grass.

Hikaru started walking up when she heard voices of two unknown people. "Tsk. Such unfortunate events for this girl. Ending up in a hospital as her parents set out on a task for Professor Oak." said a voice of an old man.

"It can't be helped. Her parents are Pokedex Holders after all," replied an old woman. "Until they return, we are in charge of this little miss." The old couple left the hospital room, leaving Hikaru alone.

"Parents? Tasks? Pokedex Holders? What does that mean?" Hikaru asked herself. As she was trying figure out what the old couple said, a doctor and the old couple came in.

"Oh, you're awake. Now that's a relief." The doctor said.

"Little miss, you were awake when my husband and I were discussing your doings," the old woman said, "Eavesdropping isn't a very good habit."

"I'm sorry," Hikaru said with a downcast look. "I just didn't get what you were saying. What task? What are Pokedex Holders? What parents?"

After saying the last question, everyone had a surprised look on their face which confused Hikaru even more. "Do you not know what had happened to you?" the old man asked. She shook her head in return.

"This could be a case of Amnesia," the doctor reported, "What do you know about yourself?"

"Um, my name is Hikaru. I'm five years old. And that's about it." She answered.

"Oh dear. We weren't expecting this," the old man said.

"She must have hit her head when she fell from the tree. I'm not sure how long it will last though. It's best to take her places where she has a deep attachment to," the doctor said.

"Let her remember at her own pace. If she gets her memories back let her have it. If it doesn't return, then she can make new ones in our home in Johto," the old woman said.

"Johto?" Hikaru asked.

"Yes, little miss. You will be staying with us in the Johto Region until your parents return. We run the Daycare Center. There, you will help us with taking care of the Pokemon," the daycare woman said.

After Hikaru was discharged from the hospital, she and the daycare couple took the S.S. Anne to Johto. When they got the Day Care Center, Hikaru couldn't believe her eyes. There were Pokemon everywhere! The old man led her to her room. "This is going to be your room."

"Thank you, um.."

"Grandpa. That's what everyone calls me here. And you can call my wife Grandma."

"Thank you, Grandpa!" Hikaru went to her bed and was surprised to see something on it.

"That Little Miss, is a Pokemon egg. A Pokemon will hatch from it. It will hatch even faster if you take it with you and give it love,"said Grandpa.

"What Pokemon will come out?" she asked. "That's the fun part. No one knows," he said with a smile.

And just as Grandpa said, Hikaru took very good care of the egg. She was able to befriend all the Pokemon at the Daycare. During her free time, Grandma would tell stories to her about the Pokedex Holders and their great adventures.

"And Red beat Giovanni," Grandma said finishing the story.

"Wow! So Red could be my father?" Hikaru said with sparkling eyes.

"That's right. You might be able to meet him if you go on an adventure."

"Oh, I will. I'm going to get a Pokedex and help Professor Oak and go on a journey. Then I'm going to meet with my parents." Hikaru said. And at that moment the egg started to glow. It was hatching! After the glowing settled, a Pichu appeared. "And this little guy will be my partner."