❧ Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Ichigo, you're getting so good at makeup!"

"Oh, thank you! You think Hajime will like it?"

"Are you kidding, he'll love it! Can I borrow that glitter?"

"Sure!"

I giggle as I watched Emi reach across the sea of makeup and products scattered across the surface of my vanity. It was absolute chaos! I had really gotten the hang of putting on makeup and learning about it and started rapidly building my collection. Before I knew it, my shelves and drawers were completely stocked. I hadn't really planned on slowing down much, either. Combined with Emi and Natsu's own collection they'd brought to my house, we had nearly every product you could imagine. You could barely even see the countertop!

Emi lifted a mascara wand to her eye and started to spread it over her long, beautiful lashes, humming a tune.

"We're going to make everyone at the party look like idiots.." she sang. Natsu nodded and started to apply golden glitter to her eyelid, packing the sparkly product on until her eyes popped wonderfully with the colors.

"I'm so excited for this party. I can't remember the last time Hajime even threw one."

"Hajime throws parties?" I smirk and apply a thin layer of gloss over my pink matte lips.

"Well, in middle school, a lot more...he kind of stopped when we entered into the academy."

"He kind of started getting more serious around then. But I guess now things are different..." Emi nudged me in the side and I laughed, nudging her back lazily. These two couldn't resist teasing me about my relationship with Hajime.

The two of us had been an official couple for only a few days now and decided to keep it a secret for the time being. We only told our closest, most trustworthy friends the news while at lunch one day, sparking a wave of excitement. Emi and Natsu claimed they knew something had been happening between us and it was only a matter of time after I confessed my feelings to Hajime.

Shortly after the announcement, Hajime invited our entire junior class to his house for a formal party. The girls thought it had a lot to do with us becoming boyfriend and girlfriend, but I couldn't be sure. I had mentioned once to Hajime that I'd wanted to try dressing up for once and dancing like the couples in movies at upper class parties. He suggested right after that he could make it happen. I hadn't realized he was serious enough at the time since the two of us were joking around, but sure enough, the entire school heard the invitation on the intercom the following school day.

I was beyond excited that I was going to a party for once. Back where I lived, having fun in a group of friends was running around stirring up trouble on the streets. But now, I was going to get to wear a beautiful dress, wear my hair however I wanted, put on makeup, dance in a ballroom with my boyfriend...

If you told the old Ichigo she'd be excited about going to a party full of rich kids and dancing with her boyfriend, pampered from head to toe, she'd slap your glasses off. But hey, I guess people change!

Dressing up took some getting used to. I never cared much about my appearance this much before -- let alone put in the effort. I'd throw my uniform on, run my fingers through my hair, pull it in a ponytail and be on my way. But I had entered into a whole new world, and my perception of so many things had changed. When I took care of myself and became beautiful, I felt empowered.... Invigorated. It was like armor! I felt better than ever.

"Ichigo, why don't you talk in that dialect you used to have...?"

"I told you, Emi, I'm passed that..."