❧Chapter One

© 2016 BonbonLove All Rights Reserved

"So I heard you liked me."

"..."

"Is it true?"

"...Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I ain't lovesick like a fool, or anything."

"...So you really have a crush on me?!"

"Yeah. Why's that so surprising? I'm a girl, ya know."

I'd seen enough dramas and animes to know how this would end. Either he'd turn me down gently, being the super sweet guy he's always been, or he'd somehow take pity on my awkward self and give me a chance. Like always, I wasn't nervous about the outcome. I wasn't blushing furiously like the annoying girly characters you always see that are asking out their perfect match. I didn't care much about how it went.

I just knew...I kind of liked Kenta. He was the only guy from my school that looked like a prince from a fairytale. I didn't look it one bit, but I hung onto Disney like it was my teddy for life.

There was just something about a fairytale prince...that the inner fangirl inside me dreamed about having at her side.

"...So...you gonna respond or what? I've gotta get home."

I look Kenta right in the eye. They don't have that much of a sparkle to them, but they're a nice, calm brown. They're both just a little darker than his semi-neat hair.

The school is still clearing out, but there's only a few kids left, so it's quiet between us for a moment. I feel completely relaxed, less anticipated than I thought I'd be, strangely enough. My mind was starting to drift toward food when my thoughts were cut off with the sound of Kenta's laughter.

"Oi. What's so funny?"

Confused, I watch him, waiting for the laughter to die down. I've known from being teased for years that it's not a nice laugh, the way he points and peeks at me through his squinting eyes.

"I don't date girls who aren't feminine at all. You're disgusting, Ichigo."

The words are so sudden that it takes me a minute to process. I've never been so dumbfounded before. I break every word up, define them in my brain, and piece them together.

What I feel as I start to understand is so painful and shocking that my hands drop from stretching above my head and dangle at my sides. I blink at Kenta -- having the time of his life witnessing my reaction to his words! I finally take my big eyes off of him and see the group he hangs with holding their phones up and snickering at the photos they've taken.

Kenta doesn't look like a fairytale prince to me anymore.

"When I heard you liked me, I was so sick, I thought I'd have to go to the nurse's office!" He's holding his sides and wiping his tearing eyes. The more I stare at him, the more I notice his flaws..

He has an absolutely STUPID nose. How did it look cute before? It's so weird and pointy, if I ever tried to kiss him, he'd slice my face off. And his lips...WHAT LIPS?! His hair is fluffy and obviously unbrushed every morning....his skin is blotchy and discolored...it looked like he was using makeup to cover the horrid acne everyone thought he had rid of from middle school. And his teeth. The yellow chompers glowed like gold every time he opened his flapping yapper to let out the donkey.

What had I liked about him? The mask! That's it! The faux mask he placed over himself because kindness looks better then outward ugliness.

"Ah, it's gone now!" I jumped into a stance and pointed directly at Kenta's horrid face. The laughing stops as he backs up in shock. Even his friends nearby stop to look and figure out what was happening.

"...What...?" Kenta asks, frowning at my finger. I drop my hand.

"...Nothing.... Just my imagination."

A smirk curls along my lips as I bring my hands together to crack my knuckles. I tilt my head to the side to crack my neck and stretch the muscles. Next, I'm stretching out my good leg so I don't pull a muscle.

"Oi, Kenta. I'm glad you asked me to meet you out here for your friends to see."

"..Yeah." Kenta is smiling again, folding his arms over his chest. He waves at a few girls that are walking in the opposite direction. They could still see his mask.

"Good idea, right? That way no one will know, but we could still get a good laugh. Don't worry, they're not posting the videos, it would damage my --"

"Reputation, right?" I shout and twist into a roundhouse kick. My foot collides into Kenta's blank face, the blow bruising his cheek and knocking the spit out of his mouth. His head turns to the side, body falling backwards to crash to the ground with a satisfying THUMP!

Ichigo, you dumbass, falling for that trick! Not every nice guy is a prince!

Kenta's friends are still in shock when I see them. Some run, some start walking toward me with the intent to put their hands on a poor defenseless woman.

My grin only broadens as they approach, right into my fists...

❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎

I reach into a fallen guy's pocket a few minutes later, glad to see his phone didn't lock somehow. I find the video he had taken of me kicking his best friend's ass and post it on Instagram under my name to avoid deletion. When I'm done, I throw the phone on the ground and make sure I can hear the screen crack before I shove my hands into my pockets and start on my delayed journey home.

I barely make it down the street before I break down.