❧Chapter Eighteen

When I arrived home after my first day of school, Chisame was there to greet me. I walked right passed her through the doorway, my head hanging low. She asked how my day went, but of course I couldn't answer her. She'd just try and fix everything, tell me "I told you so."

A week passed, and with every day I got used to the school, the worse my reputation amongst my peers. Kotoko led them all. She'd dump milk on my head at lunch, trip me, lock me in closets, pull pranks and blame them on me. Before I knew it, even the teachers began to turn on me. With my past record of being a delinquent, I couldn't exactly defend myself.

It wasn't like they cared either way.

Throughout the week, I rarely got any time to spend with Hajime — and I could honestly say that hurt me the most. Him being at this school was the only thing that kept me going! If I couldn't spend time with him in the one place that I could see him everyday, what was the point?

What was the point in this crush I had on him? I went to a completely different school for him, but who's to say for sure that he liked me back?

Crushes are so difficult..

I felt like an idiot. A sad, non-feminine idiot surrounded by glamorous, intelligent people everyday. I was looked down upon so much that I started to reevaluate myself constantly. What was happening to me? I used to rule my old school, kept everyone in check, took crap from no one, and I never cared about how I looked to others...

But at the end of the day, I kept ending up in the bathroom, glaring at myself in the mirror.

It was finally Friday, and as usual, I passed by Chisame and ignored her comments. I dropped my bag on the ground, hiding my chocolate milk filled hair underneath a gym hoodie and raced through our brand new mansion to my room. One of the butlers rushed over to grab it.

Honestly, I didn't like the house. Sure, it was spacious and beautiful, but it was so over the top. It didn't suit me and my father's tastes in the slightest. It was so Chisame.

And it took forever to get to my dang room!

I'm walking down the hallway, heading straight for my bathroom when I feel my hoodie being snatched off my head. I whirl around, puzzled when I see my stepmother standing behind me with a particularly frustrated expression and demeanor.

"What is it?" I grit my teeth, watching as her eyes widen in horror at my disgusting hair. Her arms drop at her sides as she looks carefully at me, as if I were a patient and she was a doctor.

"What do you mean 'what is it?' This is torture, Ichigo!"

"Oh, please, don't be dramatic..." I roll my eyes to the chandelier and turn to start heading for my bathroom again, but Chisame follows me, heels clicking and echoing through the halls. She moves so persistently it's actually impressive — I walked pretty fast when I was in a hurry.

"I know what those damn brats are doing to you — and I know you're not doing anything about it!"

"So, whadda you care? And who said I wasn't?! I've...made it clear that I'd pummel anyone who crossed me!"

"Slow down — pregnant lady here. And quit lying. I'd be notified by the police if you made anything clear through confrontation. You're not exactly the talking type, kiddo."

"Drop it, I don't wanna —"

"I know why you're being submissive! You're just overwhelmed and you feel out of place, that's all! But I know how to fix that!"

I scoffed, turning a corner. The bathroom was just a few doors down, "I don't need your help!"

I finally reach my place of refuge and prepare to slam the door behind me, but Chisame catches the door and props it open with her foot. I roll my eyes and huff.

"Yes you do! And it's alright to admit that, Ichigo. Compared to your old school, you're practically in a whole other world. You just need a bit of guidance! A new haircut, a decent outfit, a bit of makeup...etiquette...And I can—"

"Chisame!" I look her right in the eyes, and I'm surprised when the floodgates open without a warning. My voice cracks as I cry through my words. The fact that she actually looked sympathetic toward me only made it worse.

"Just leave me alone!"

SLAM!

The door closes in her face, and I hurriedly start to wash and scrub my hair clean. Looking up after it was washed, I gaze at my pitiful reflection — my short dark hair, wild and matted, my sad brown eyes..

Chisame wants to change me. What kind of person does that to solve a problem...

🍓

"Thanks."

I give Hajime a soft smile and take the cup of warm milk gratefully. I take a sip and allow the drink to warm my insides, calming my shaking. I had run out of the house with my hand dried hair at 8 o'clock at night. On the wrong night, I might add. We were having a cold front as of recent, and this uniform was allowing for all the gold air to reach my bare skin.

Hajime grins sweetly back at me and sits down at one of the outdoor tables across from me. The bakery had recently closed, so it was just us two out here with a few of his family members tidying up inside. They gave him permission to take a break and spend time with me.

"How are you, Ichigo," he starts off in a gentle tone, but it starts to rise as he goes on, "I bet it's tough, right? I'm never there for you....it seems like every time you need someone to protect you, I'm in a completely different building.." he speaks jokingly, but his guilt is clear.

I don't answer. I didn't want to be pitied. Not exactly.

"They're all just a bunch of jerks. They're jealous because you're unique..and kind and...ah..um...how's the milk?" He cuts himself off and changes the subject abruptly. A cold breeze dances through his golden hair as he blushes shyly. I admire the color in his cheeks for a moment before setting the cup down on the table.

"Hajime."

"Yes?"

"What do you think about personal change?"

"What do you mean?"

"If a girl wanted to be different to fit in, would you think she was wrong?"

"Yes and no."

I looked up at him curiously.

"I wouldn't want anyone to change how they are. Differences are what makes them special, after all.. they're meant to stand out."

"What if they poke out too much.." I slumped in my seat, feeling unsatisfied with his answer. Damn. I needed to feel like I was being pointed in the right direction, dammit.

Hajime stands up wordlessly and reaches across the table, using his finger to tilt my chin up. Our gazes meet, and his bright blue eyes seize me. A warmth spreads through me at the contact.

"You didn't let me finish. Personal change can be about growth, too. Wanting to become a different person — or a better person to an extent that doesn't fall outside the boundaries of your morals shouldn't be frowned upon."

"So change can be good, then.."

"Yes.. as long as you don't forget the person you were before, and strive to be better, you're focusing on growth and development, are you lot? It's just important not to lose yourself in the process—"

I stand up and quickly kiss Hajime on his warm cheek as a thank you, and wordlessly turn around to run back home.

Personal growth, huh?

When Hajime — and the students at Crystal Mountain Academy saw me on Monday, I'd be unrecognizable.