Chapter 37: Neverland Misadventures - The Physio I

Comenzar desde el principio

Wendy processed the information. She nodded slowly, although she still wondered about her children.

The girl seemed heartened by their interaction.

"I have to say Mrs. Pan, it's nice to finally see you awake. I heard that you woke up during the ...er...shadow incident, but this is the first time you've been  fully oriented. I've actually been coming in to move your arms and legs for the past three days, just to make sure your joints stayed healthy, but I think you were unconscious. Do you remember me?"

Wendy squinted. Move her joints? Past three days? She shook her head. No.

"That's okay." The girl shrugged, "You were groggy.  So how about I introduce myself now?"

She tapped her medical badge.

"My name is gi. Like the letter g. I spell it all lowercase.  I am a physical therapist and I've been sent by your medical doctor to help you move."

Wendy frowned.

gi read her mind.

"Have you ever worked with a physical therapist before?"

Wendy shook her head. No. 

"Not surprised. Very few of my patients have. But basically, my job is to make sure you can go home without falling. That means I have to make sure your muscles are strong, your balance is good, and you have enough stamina to get through each day."

Wendy nodded, but with an air of skepticism.  She did feel a little feeble, but she certainly wasn't crippled.  Honestly she didn't see the need for a physical therapist. One cup of tea she'd be right as rain. 

gi sensed Wendy's skepticism.

"Don't doubt me just yet," she warned lightheartedly, "You'll understand once you try to move.  It won't be easy the first time. You've just had surgery and you've been asleep for a few days. Both of those things make you weak. Plus, you're incision – "

gi motioned across her stomach. Wendy felt the stitches in her abdomen tingle.

"—your incision complicates things. I'll have to teach you safe ways to get out of bed and stand up. We've got a lot of work ahead of us. But, I think we should start by getting out of bed. Sound like a plan?"

Wendy remained dubious. But gi looked outrageously excited to help her. She seemed similar to Ariel -- overflowing with energy. 

So, Wendy resigned.

"Okay!" Deftly, gi started to clear the space. She lowered the bed rails, moved the IV, suspended the monitors,  and smoothed out the lines and tubes. As she reorganized, she maintained a constant dialogue: 

"Now Mrs. Pan, I do have some questions about your home environment. I need to know what sort of home you are going to, so I can teach you how to move safely inside it. However, since your throat is still healing and I hear that your family is in the hospital, I think we can skip that part and proceed with the movement part of my evaluation. Let's check your vitals first....SpO2 good – heart rate excellent – blood pressure little low, but within normal ranges. We'll just have to make sure it doesn't drop when you sit up, gotta make sure there is blood flowing to your brain or else you'll pass out!"

Wendy blinked. gi was talking a million miles an hour! (And Peter thought that she talked too much!).

Not only was gi talking a million miles an hour, but she was also moving a million miles an hour. gi was petite (actually about Wendy's size), but there was an athletic confidence to each step.  But as she powered through her routine, Wendy noted humorously that gi was also a tad clumsy.  She'd drop her clipboard or bump into the IV, and dismiss it with a rueful shrug.