~*~ 22 ~*~

~*~ 22 ~*~

When we got outside I asked her "What? Do all parents have a red line connecting them, keeping them in the know?"

"Thankfully I don't think they are that organized" replied Sarah with an impish grin.

"Then how did your mom know?"

"I told mom that you stayed on and that your dad brought you home." She looked at my face blanch as we got into the van. "What?" She turned the key in the ignition, "I was worried about you!"

Sighing I looked out the window as another strange shiver stepped through my body. Sarah saw, thinking I was cold, turned on the heat full blast. But it wasn't the temperature that was causing it, I had a bad feeling. A really bad feeling. Maybe it had to do with Bryce's warning.

I called dad letting him know we were going up to see Sarah's aunt. He too gave strict warnings to be careful! I was to call him "when we got there, and when we were leaving, and to be home by ten— and not one moment later!" It was a school night after all he reminded me.

Sarah and I left then, to what I wasn't sure, but I had the feeling that my Guardian Angel was going to have to be at work early tonight. I didn't know if that would be good —-or bad.

Turning in my seat and looking at her, "Sarah?"

"Hm?" she kept her eyes on the road.

I decided that I could talk about it without getting into trouble. It was common knowledge after all that people had them. Why couldn't I talk about it? I would be careful. "What do you know of Guardian Angels?"

"Like those frilly white things that are supposed to fly around trying to rescue us all the time?"

"Yeah, only," I decided not to correct her. "Yeah those."

"What about them?"

"You ever, I don't know, see one?"

"A real live angel you mean?"

"Yeah, a real one."

"No." she glanced away from the road for a second. "Why? Have you?"

"I'm not sure."

"You either did or you didn't!" she was laughing.

That was the attitude I had been expecting. If she, the opened-minded one laughed at the idea, then I must be going absolutely insane. My whole world was going wonky on me. I was seeing angels in my bedroom who were really car slaying boys; who hit you on purpose to save your life. Too much more of this and I'd be certifiable!

"Well?" she asked curious.

"Jury's still out." I answered ambiguously.

"I see." she got sidetracked by the road and left me alone with my thoughts again. A sappy love song was playing on the radio so I changed the station stabbing the search button. We were not far from Mira's anyway. Sarah drove into town then turned into the alley. I saw a familiar beefed up pickup and a sleek red car that I knew was Bryce and Bettina's, parked side by side.

"Don't turn! Don't stop!" I yelped causing her to hit the brakes abruptly. She had just turned into the alley.

"Sheesh Rowan!" she was looking at me in alarm.

My seatbelt off in an instant, I slid to the floor beneath the dash.

"What on Earth is the matter with you Rowan?"

"I said don't turn and don't stop!" my voice was muffled from where I had curled myself up into a ball on the floor. I was waving my hand furiously "Back up! Back up! Just back up! Get out of here!"