~*~ 6 ~*~

~*~ 6 ~*~

Lunchtime came, and with it, the dread of having to field more questions about my car, my injuries, or 'that cute boy'. Purposely hanging back I made sure I was one of the last ones to arrive. The cost of that decision was discovering a packed lunchroom. I hadn't figured on that. Getting my tray of food and scanning the room for a place to sit, I saw my usual table filled to capacity.

One table was available with only one person sitting at it. I did a double take. It was the boy who had hit me yesterday morning. He was watching me intently. His expression one of relief and curiosity which changed to one of incredulous disbelief. I decided to go sit by him. It wasn't like there were any options, besides, I had questions. I nudged Sarah as I passed her at my usual table. "Thanks for saving me a seat girlfriend."

"Sorry" she smiled apologetically. "It was filled before I got here! Want to share my chair?"

"Thanks but," I nodded toward my car-slayer "I think I'm going to try to talk to him."

"You are not!" She was grinning. "Serious?"

"I am!"

She watched me curiously, turning in her seat for a better view. I took a seat opposite him and a couple seats down. After setting my tray down and setting my backpack on the seat beside mine I looked over at him. He was frowning at me. I can't say for certain what I was expecting but it darn sure wasn't that. Those gorgeous eyes were filled with contempt. Definitely not welcoming. I wasn't the one who tried to drive through him! I met his look with one of my own.

He met my look and after a moment looked back down at his food. There was a long awkward pause. Suddenly he got up as if his seat were on fire. Snatching up his tray so fast that his carton of milk fell, landing on the floor with a soft sloshing plop. Rigidly he stopped, standing there watching the milk pooling out around his feet. Then the moment seemed to release him and quickly spinning on his heels, he stalked toward the large barrels with long ground eating strides completely disregarding how everyone in the room was watching him. With a loud flourish he dumped the remainder of his lunch and just short of running, left the cafeteria. A pretty brunette who had just walked in late saw him leave. Hurrying after him, she too dumped the contents of her untouched tray into the barrel, though not as noisily, and took off after the boy. And then collectively everyone in the room turned to look at me.

Leave it to me to embarrass myself. I hadn't noticed the hush that fell across the room. I did when the sudden chatter started up after he left. I felt eyes on me. Mercifully Sarah, Jorgi, Tammy, and another girl I only knew by the name of MaryJo moved over to my table and sat down with me. Matt followed, glaring at the doorway the boy had disappeared through.

"Who was that and what did you do to tick him off so bad?" Jorgi whispered. "Everyone's looking at you!"

"Um— I think I just committed social suicide somehow. I've no idea how I did it either." I looked at her confused. "I just sat down. I hadn't even said a word to him. You saw!" I defended myself.

"Well he looked really angry that's for sure!" Tammy quipped.

I ignored her statement. "Maybe because I am breathing? I've no idea. Who's the girl who ran out following him?"

"Don't know her." Sarah said biting into a wedge of her orange while watching me carefully.

MaryJo looked towards the doorway that lead out of the cafeteria. "That was Bettina. She just started. I've got her in a couple of my morning classes. The boy is Bryce. He just came in this morning too I guess." She took a sip from her water bottle and then continued. "She's his girlfriend. I saw him in the office today filling out paperwork. She was sitting beside him real close like and talking."